Chapter 1

"How are you holding up?" My older sister Aurora asked me. It was terrible, this world is terrible. I don't know if I'm going to make it through this, I don't know if anyone could make it through this hell.

I nodded even though I wasn't ok at all. Our shoes crunched the dead leaves beneath us. I glanced up at the sky seeing nothing but rain clouds. I didn't need the sun at this point I already knew that it was getting close to dusk.

"I'm scared" I finally admitted. "I know so am I but we're going to get through this" Aurora said. She didn't look scared, she never did. She always looks so strong at the darkest times.

I wanted to be like her so much, she was perfect but now there was no time to be perfect. All they could think about was surviving.

We went into the thick forest in search of a good area to set up camp for the night. Spiked covered plants scratched against my arms making me roll my black sweaters sleeves down. "There" Aurora said pointing towards a giant tree covered in green vines.

I sighed but grabbed the vines and pulled myself up, my older sister following. As we got closer to one of the branches I felt the vines start to get loose. We both exchanged a worried look. Aurora rushed up reaching the branch.

The vines beneath my hands started to peel off of the tree. I quickly reached up my arm, my sister grabbed it and pulled me up. I sat on the branch and looked down. The vines peeled off the tree completely and fell to the ground.

"How are we supposed to get back down?" I asked. "We will find a way in the morning, but for now get some rest you'll need it" Aurora replied. I nodded.

Another branch loomed overhead not to far from the branch we were on now, I reached up and lifted myself up. The branch supported my weight, good I thought but I was still worried that it would break.

I looked towards the destroyed city of Kamiree, the city I grew up in my whole life.

It started when the first infected was spotted tearing someone's arm off. People went to help him but it was too late, the man whose arm was torn off lunged at them. It started at just one infected then turned into hundreds. The military soon came in to help but only made it worse. They bombed the city, hundreds of innocents dead.

Luckily Aurora and I made it out of there alive. It's always been us two, our parents abandoned us when we were young. We always took care of each other and that's all that mattered.

Rain drops fell from the sky and landed on the leaves above. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get any sleep tonight so there was no point in trying. I leaned over the edge and saw Aurora sleeping, how could she sleep through this I wondered.

********************

The sun started to rise along the horizon creating an orange glow across it. My back ached from sleeping on this branch, first time, hopefully the last time.

I glanced back down to Aurora, still sleeping. "Aurora" I whispered. Luckily she was a light sleeper so she awoke rubbing her eyes.

"What are we going to do today?" I asked. "Go back to Kamiree, see if anything has gotten better" She replied. I nodded. "But still how are we going to get down?" I asked looking at the tree trunk. "There's vines on the trees beside us we'll go down them" She replied.

I looked to where the branch I was on lead, another tree similar to this one was across. I crawled towards it and leapt on its vines. I looked back at my sister and she did the same, we slowly got down safely. Time to head back to Kamiree.

********************

We soon arrived at the entrance of Kamiree, the dead roamed among it. I looked in horror. The dead ruled this world now and there is nothing we can do to stop them. This is the end.