Back in Town

After ten years of not stepping foot in Operose I was finally back, I set my last box down in my new home and took it all in for a minute. It felt strange to be back, although I had grown up here I felt like an outsider. Everything was exactly the same, everyone I grew up with stayed in Operose, everyone that has ever lived here stayed here. There were very few people that ever left. 

My mother being one of the few, she couldn't stand to be in a place where everyone knew what was happening behind her back, Where everyone had my fathers back. After months of trying to mend her marriage my mother made the hardest decisions she's ever had to make. That was leaving my father, she not only lost her husband but her best friend in the process. She never thought the woman she trusted the most would betray her and hurt her in the worst way possible. 

After the affair she trusted no one, she never remarried or even dated. She dedicated her life to my brothers and I. But then she got sick on a trip and never recovered. The tragic loss of my mother made me realize I had been neglecting my father and pushing him away for years for what he did to my mother. This is something she would have wanted me to do, be closer to him and not take him for granted. Which is exactly why I came back to Operose, I have to admit I have missed it. Ive missed the small town feel, everyone here knew each other. 

On my first day back I decided to have dinner at my favorite restaurant, I like to call it Aunt Sandra's . As we were getting settled In my favorite booth Sandra herself walked up to greet us. It had been along time since I last seen her. 

Her eyes lit up as she walked up to my father and I. 

"Oh my if it isn't little Avery all grown up" she said. I stood up to hug her she chuckled as she saw that I surely did age but hadn't grow an inch since I seen her last. "I've missed you aunt Sandra." 

Sandra wasn't my biological aunt but she had witnessed my birth right here in my favorite booth. For fifteen years after that I spent almost every weekend at her restaurant. 

I asked her to sit with us and as we sat there she finally said. "Have you seen Miles yet sweetheart?" I shuffled in my seat at the thought of running into Miles. Which I knew would eventually happen but I wasn't prepared to see him. 

I sat there thinking about those hazel eyes and short wavy hair, but snapped out of it when I saw my fiancé Wren approaching us. I didn't answer her question but I think she already knew the answer. 

"Aunt Sandra this is my fiancé Wren, Wren this is my Aunt Sandra" "It's nice to meet you Sandra, Aves speaks very highly of you." After dinner Wren and I walked my father to his house and we went on our way to my new home. 

Everything in Operose was walking distance, something that I always missed. For the time being I was going to be living alone until Wren could find a job closer to Operose. As we walked onto my porch I opened the door and felt overwhelmed with the amount of boxes I needed to unpack. I decided to ignore it for now and invited Wren in. 

"I can't believe I'm back in Operose." I said letting out a sigh. "How do you feel." Wren said while placing his hand on my thigh. "Strange. It doesn't feel real that I'm back. I told myself I would never come back to this town, yet here I am." 

After a few moments of silence I said "how do you feel moving here with me in a couple months." He sighed. I started wondering if he even wanted this. "Well it will definitely be a lot to adjust too." Which is understandable, Wren has lived in big cities all of his life. 

I gently placed my hand on his face and thanked him. "I appreciate you for doing this with me." "Theres no one I'd rather do this with than you Aves." He said. After Wren left my place I decided to start unpacking, the first and only thing I did was make up my bed. As soon as I hit the pillow I was out. 

I had just had the best sleep of my life, I forgot how peaceful this town was. No loud cars driving down the streets all night. Everyone just asleep or at home with their families. I could get used to this. 

The morning after my first night in Operose I decided to be productive, I hopped in the shower made myself breakfast and headed to what we call Main Street in Operose. On Main Street there are all the businesses, grocery store, boutiques, car repair. Everything you need we have in this town. Except for a nail salon, which is where I come up. 

I own a nail salon I named Nails by Avery, I decided the only way I could move out to Operose was if I could find an empty building and create the first nail salon in Operose.

 I am preparing for my grand opening. In this town it is a big deal the women of this town have been asking for a nail salon for years ever since I was a little girl we would all complain about having to go out of town for manicure or pedicure. It's nerve wracking because the whole town will be at the grande opening. I know I am going to run into Miles sooner or later but I am not ready for that moment. I don't know how or what I will feel when I finally see him after ten years.  

Hope everyone enjoys the first chapter, I'm really excited for this new story I am writing. And all the twists and turns. :)