Library Girl

I always hoped for a different ending... A new chance to prove this could work. Yet, everyone knew, including myself, that I wouldn't stand a chance. Fate had already picked my destiny, and that destiny, was to let her go...

~x~

"Yes! They finally ordered my new book!" she yelled, slamming her laptop shut excitedly.

"Woah, calm down there, Dee." I chuckled and watched her rush to the door and grab her jacket.

"C'mon, Jake! You know how long I've been waiting to read this! Get your butt movin'!" She giggled and pulled on my sleeve.

With a dramatic sigh and a smile on my face, I got up from the couch, tingles going up my arm as she dragged me to the door. "Okay, I'm comin', I'm comin'." I laughed as I shut the door to my apartment.

Dee, or Diana, had come over to my apartment earlier that morning and we finished watching her favorite show, Agents of Shield, when she got the email from the library. By library, I mean, sanctuary. She loves that place and spends most of her time there.

"Hurry up! The library will be closing soon!" Dee whined as we ran across the street, and to the right.

"Geez! Not so fast!" I yelled, trying to keep up with her.

Her auburn hair whipped back and forth as she ran, and then disappeared as she entered the library doors. I sighed and followed her in.

"Hi, Lynn! Has my book come in yet? Is it shelved? Did it get here safely? Has someone already checked it out?" Dee gasped and whispered, "Would you be willing to give me their address?"

I laughed at the librarian's shocked face and walked up behind Diana.

"Dee, no one would want to check out your autobiography of some dead white guy."

She whipped around and glared at me. "He is not some dead white guy!" She made a big circle with her arms, raising her voice, and the rising excitement clear in her voice, "He's CHARLES DARWIN!! He discovered so many varying species on the Galapagos! And his research went to the discovery of evolution and-"

I put a hand over her face and walked past her to the librarian, "Has her book come in yet? Sorry, we're still working on her breathing exercises to clam down." I winked at Dee and turned back to the librarian who seemed to be chuckling.

"Yes, Diana, your book just arrived. I'll go get it. It's nice to see you too, Jacob." Lynn, the librarian, smiled warmly and disappeared through a door behind the counter.

I turned around to face a pouting Diana. Her dark brown eyes were full of rage and embarrassment.

"What?" I laughed. I could never take her seriously when she pouted. Diana was just too darn cute.

"My book's not stupid..." She looked to the ground and pouted some more.

"Whatever you say, nerd." I laughed and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Shut up, jock.." She mumbled.

I threw my head back in laughter and squeezed her shoulders.

How could I ever let her go?

~x~

It was a Saturday, and Diana would be here any minute. I was stressing so bad... What if she didn't like surprises? Would I be too nervous to tell her? What if I got her a terrible birthday present? Would she disown me?

"Dude."

I whipped my head around to see my best guy friend, Marshal.

"Yeah?"