Chapter 8

Edward started keeping track of the days after Draco left.

The solitude he'd originally welcomed as punishment had become oppressive, and waiting around for someone who might never come back—would never come back—struck him as decidedly pathetic. He still had some semblance of pride left. When the desire to go searching for Draco became too strong, he resolved to take the long delayed trip to London instead.

But his pride hadn't stopped him from running over a million different scenarios regarding the images he'd seen in Draco's dream. It seemed probable that Draco bore the skull and snake tattoo on his arm, and whatever task he had to perform (likely under duress, considering how fearful he'd appeared) was somehow related to the mark. Moreover, his family was threatened, making the situation that much more volatile. That was a reality with which Edward was all too familiar.

And his pride hadn't stopped him from missing Draco.

He sighed as he locked the cabin, though he wasn't really worried about break-ins, especially with the protections Draco had put in place. If they still held. For all Edward knew, the wizard had taken them down when he left. In any case, there wasn't much of worth at the cabin to steal.

The hour-long journey to the train station passed without incident, and Edward found himself on a platform, surrounded by humans for the first time in months. A young woman with a stud in her nose smiled at him and he gave he a curt nod, unaccustomed to social niceties. In the woods it was easy to forget how to play human. Draco didn't seem to mind Edward's vampire qualities. When he moved too fast, made sounds that unnerved most people, the wizard didn't flinch. He even seemed to like it . . .

Edward ground his fingers into his palm and stepped onto the train. It wouldn't do to think of that now. Draco wasn't coming back.

Being in London after the silence of the forest overwhelmed Edward's senses. At first he almost welcomed the cacophony in his head. It seemed oddly normal, the banal concerns and desires of people as they hurried from place to place. Despite the thousands of beating hearts, his thirst remained under control. He'd already survived the ultimate temptation. None of the blood he smelled held a candle to Draco's.

He checked into a hotel in Bloomsbury and took a warm shower, his body relaxing under the heat. Bathing in cold water at the cabin was much less pleasant. He washed, giving his insistent erection a quick release, but knowing it wouldn't sate his need. Ever since he'd first been with Draco, that hunger had grown exponentially, so much so that he could no longer remember a time when he didn't feel the pull of his body's most basic human desires. After a few harsh tugs, his cock spurted jets of venom down the drain, however, the orgasm was far from satisfactory. Ironically, now that he'd allowed himself to indulge, his own touch was no longer enough.

Once he'd dried and dressed, he made his way into the city. He stopped at the National Portrait Gallery and the British Museum, spending an especially long time at the latter. Priceless objects: so many of them spoils of war or colonialism, taken from their countries of origin and put on display. Detached from the Parthenon, the Elysian Marbles, though beautiful, left him feeling decidedly melancholy.

He left and decided to purchase the things he'd come for—books, batteries, a small music player, CDs, and clothes—but he hadn't expected such crowds. Christmas was only days away and he hadn't even known. He added a calendar to his list.

The stores were decorated with lights, wreaths, candles and ornaments, and filled with irritating holiday shoppers—including a man who plowed into Edward in a desperate attempt to purchase a coveted toy. Dazed at the impact, the stranger gave Edward a funny look and hurried away. A normal human reaction, but one which made Edward long to finish his errands in a hurry. Shopping had never been an activity he relished, and until now Alice had picked out most of his clothes. Edward smiled, thinking of Draco's immaculate appearance; he'd probably enjoy shopping with the wizard. He imagined the two of them together in London, but immediately put the ridiculous thought out of his head.