Chapter 1

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Max's POV

"What's up, sweetheart?" I said into my phone after I swiped the screen to take my girlfriend Mook's call.

"Babe, is our dinner get together pushing through this evening?" I heard her ask.

"Of course. Barring divine intervention, there's absolutely no way that I would cancel it," I told her. "You already know how I want to spend every single moment with you forever and ever, right?"

"Liar," I heard her say.

I chuckled. I loved Mook to pieces but there were indeed times when I would spend a day or two without her because I had wanted to spend them in the company of my best buddy Tul who conveniently lived just three houses away from me. 

"So is Ella coming with you this evening?" I asked.

"Have you forgotten?" I could imagine Mook raising her eyebrows as she asked her question. "She's the reason that we're having the get together! You were supposed to invite Tul to dinner with us so that he can meet Ella. Have you forgotten that as well? Have you?"

Oh shit, I hoped to the highest heavens that Tul would agree to my last minute invitation, that he had not yet made any plans for the evening.

"Max???"

"Huh?"

"What's the matter with you today? Have you even been listening to me?"

"Mook," I said quickly but in a placating tone of voice. "He hasn't responded to my texts yet," I lied, feeling a bit unsettled that I had to lie to her to be able to stay in her good graces.

"Did you try calling him?" she asked, sounding annoyed now.

"No," I replied. At least that was the truth.

"Well, could you please try calling him now?" she was now sounding really annoyed. "I don't wanna disappoint Ella, you know. I don't wanna make her feel later that her evening has been wasted."

"Okay," I said, sighing inward so that she wouldn't hear it. "I'm gonna try calling Tul right now."

"Update me later, okay, hon?"

Why did it sound like she added the 'hon' belatedly? Oh well, I better call Tul now.

Shit, after several rings my call was directed to his voicemail.

Well, no other alternative now but to walk over to his house to check whether he was home or not.

As I was walking in the direction of his house, I prayed that he had not decided to embark on some Saturday activity outside his house.

As luck would have it, I saw from afar that he was in his yard mowing his lawn. I noticed that he was shirtless. He was wearing a pair of gray track shorts with draw strings in the front.

I stopped in my tracks to admire his muscles glistening with sweat under the sun.

An overhanging branch from his neighbor's tree hid me from his sight so I could admire him from afar for as long as I wanted.

Wait, what the hell. Oh yeah, of course, it was just something like a male admiration for a fellow guy, nothing to be ashamed of or to worry about. I was just overthinking as usual.

I walked quickly towards him.

"Hey!" I called out, raising one arm in greeting. "I'm guessing you forgot your gym monthly dues so you are doing your workout by mowing your lawn," I teased.

He turned off his lawnmower and removed his sunglasses.

Shit, if Ella saw him now, she would use all her seductive prowess to place him in her clutches.

"What brings you to my humble property, my friend?" he asked with a wide grin.

I decided to go directly to the purpose of my unannounced visit.

"I am throwing a small dinner party for you," I replied.

"For what occasion?" he asked, raising his eyebrows in obvious doubt as to my real intention for inviting him to the evening get together with Mook and Ella.

I decided to come clean.

"Listen," I said, leaning against his gate post, belatedly realizing that he had not invited me into his property. "I am cooking dinner for Mook and her best friend Ella. I thought that perhaps you would be free to join us so that Ella wouldn't feel like a third wheeler."

"Ella the third wheella," he said with a chuckle. "What time is your get together?"

"Whenever you're able to make your appearance at my door," I said.

"Is seventy forty five very late?" he asked.

"Why can't you make it earlier than that?" I asked, but hastily added, "not that it's gonna be a problem."

"A co-worker has invited me to her beach party," he explained. "Her party is actually already underway, but I said that I would be there by noon. It's gonna be an overnight thing but I will ask to be excused by evening. The beach is an hour and a half drive so if I ask to leave at say six in the evening, I should be able to make it to your house at seven thirty or so. Wait, is it gonna be a formal affair?"

"No, it's gonna be totally casual," I replied. "You can come straight from the beach in your neon green speedo briefs."

He laughed and I laughed along, starting to become aware that the image of him in neon green speedo briefs was unexpectedly turning me on.