The Hatching

"Ah. Another cup please, Misako," Sensei said.

"Okay, but drink it slower this time. Healing Tea doesn't work on a burnt tongue," Misako said, giving him more. "Sip! You are quite impatient."

"The same could be said of them," Sensei gestures to us.

"Okay, Master Wu, you've had your tea. Now can we talk?" Cole asked.

"Cole! He's healing, chill out," I said, annoyed.

"Ask any question you wish."

"Who did we fight in the monastery?" Cole asked.

"That was Acronix," Zane answered.

"From the painting?" Kai asked.

"Twins look alike!" Lloyd said.

"Or was it Krux?" Nya questioned.

"Is he from the future?" Zane asked.

"How does he speed up time like that?" Kai asks.

"Was he from the past?" Cole asked.

"Who ate my pudding cup?" Jay asks as we look at him. "What? He said any question. I put my name on this. Just because we're in a new dojo doesn't mean we disobey the refrigerator rules! Right. Sorry. Guy in monastery. What's his story?"

"Well, to answer that, I must begin at the end. It was forty years ago, shortly after the Serpentine Wars. When I was a much younger man. As you know, we fought valiantly, but our enemies were strong, and our powers alone were not enough. It was the discovery of the magic flutes that allowed us to finally defeat the Anacondrai. Their leaders were banished. And peace was returned to Ninjago. It was a great victory, and we could not achieve it without the Elemental Masters, including time and Y/n's mother."

"My mother?" Lloyd put a hand on my shoulder and gave it a light squeeze.

"Hold on a sec. So that guy at the monastery is an actual Elemental Master of Time?" Cole asked.

"No. Acronix was an Elemental Master of Time, like his brother Krux. After helping us win our hand-fought peace, they betrayed me, Garmadon, and the others. The so-called Hands of Time felt they controlled the most powerful element, therefore entitling them to rule all of Ninjago," Sensei said.

"What did you do?" Nya asked.

"We had to stop them. And it would take all of us. Garmadon, myself, and every Elemental Master,"

"Even our parents?" Kai asked.

"My mother?" I asked, grabbing hold of my locket and hers that I kept in my pocket.

"Of course. Kai, Nya, your mother and father were great fighters, but it appeared even they had met their match. Y/n's mother is another story. Acronix was a skilled warrior, one of the best I've ever seen, but his real power was his ability to control the forward movement of time. By sending himself forward, he was always ahead of the action, as if he had super speed. However, a slow progression can be just as dangerous. Different power, but equally effective. One Master of Time was bad enough, but like the hands on a clock, there were two. Krux's power was the opposite of his brother's. He could reverse time. It's a huge advantage in combat. Know your opponent's next move, know how to counter it. He could even control time to the point of halting it. of course, he didn't halt himself."

"You said the Hand of Time were unbearable, yet you beat them. How?" Lloyd asked.

"The way one often defeats an enemy-by taking away their weapon," Sensei said.

"But their weapon was time," Zane said.

"Indeed. Our only hope was four blades, hastily forged from Chronosteel...the Time Blades. Chronosteel is the only metal that can absorb Elemental Energy. Stripped of their powers, Acronix and Krux were just two ordinary men, easily subdued. But the ability to control time is too great for anyone to possess. Garmadon and I knew the Time Blades themselves were a threat in time, where they would be lost to the ages. But Acronix and Krux refused to admit defeat. They thought they were more powerful than time itself."