chapter i.

Sixteen.

The number of days I've went without sleep.

No matter how much medicine I was given, no matter how many prayers I had received in church, no matter how much exercise I was forced to do -

I wouldn't go to sleep.

I'm fine now, I guess, my severe insomnia disappeared by the time my sophomore summer break ended, I don't really know how it was even possible. It could've been how calming the rain was that night when I was in the hospital, or that warming slice of cherry pie and glass of milk that sweet nurse had given me before "bed" because I begged. Something had happened before that night, but the doctors couldn't tell me exactly what.

After that traumatic experience, I was given a reason to go and do something for others with insomnia, to go and help someone get through such a terrible condition.

This led me to the London Institute, where people with the most severe medical conditions are placed. Most of the people here are elderly, but I had came to work with the teens instead, since I found it easier to work with people who were around my age.

"Cleo Lesauvage!" The middle aged woman that sat behind the counter called for me. The thoughts that clouded my mind cleared, and I walked over to meet the woman. She had dark brown hair and eyes, which almost resembled what my mother had.

"Hello, darling, how are you?" She smiled, handing me a small pink booklet.

"I'm fine, thank you," I said shyly, waving a little to her. She simply giggled at me, which helped brightened the setting and mood a little.

"I'm Mrs. Daniels, call me Dani for short. I will be your mentor here, until you get the hang of things. In your resume, you said that you can speak French and Chinese as well, correct?"

"Yes, Dani."

"And you've also had experience with insomnia?"

"Correct."

"How long do you want to help out here, Cleo?"

"Six months."

Dani's face dropped a little, which scared me. "I don't think that is the best choice, Cleo. People who work here that are as young as you don't really leave this place...mentally sane."

"I've had this condition, Dani. If you're saying that I won't last, I don't think you know me well enough to come to such a conclusion. Besides, I'll just be serving meals and giving them their medicine, I'll be fine."

I don't know why she would tell me such information, aren't they looking for someone to work here anyway? Is she trying to scare me away?

Dani only nods her head, her lips forced into a thin lip across her face. She sorts through my forms and resume, and types something into the computer, which I assume is my information and I.D.

"You'll be starting next week, Tuesday. You will start out with three patients, and soon enough, you might be the one handling all of our teenage patients - depends on how you do," Dani informed me, handing me a folder, "I'm giving you a folder with your patient's basic information, such as name, medicines, allergies, etc., you should study it over the weekend."

"Thank you, Dani. I'll be sure to look over them." I said, walking towards the exit.

"Hey, Cleo."

"Yes, Dani?" I turned, to look at her face once again.

Dani paused, she seemed frozen in her spot for a moment. "Nevermind, honey, have a great weekend."

I nodded, and quietly walked to my car, wondering was on her mind when she called me back.