Prologue

Chongyun was always...different from the rest of his family. Although his appearance mimicked his lineage—with his light blue hair and fair skin, his character was noticeably separate. 

When he was a child, his parents found out that he had excessive yang energy. Most people would find that as a blessing, but since he was born into a line of exorcists—they saw it as more of a curse. Unfortunately, there were a lot of things they needed to do to keep his yang energy under control.

Chongyun's mother and father payed lots of attention to him, which caused the rest of his siblings to resent him. Tension grew in the family as more fights began to erupt between them.

...

In moments like these, the house felt stuffy. The screaming had a negative affect on 9 year-old Chongyun's mind, so he decided to take a walk outside. It was a relatively nice day, the sun was still out and there was a nice chilly breeze every once in a while. Chongyun made sure to bring his parasol and a couple of popsicles so he wouldn't overheat and pass out mid-walk. 

The harbor was full of people from young to old. Shouts of food venders and traders could be heard through the harbor. Although- Chongyun thought, the crowd feels less suffocating than the house. He skipped through the paths, breathing in the pleasant scents from the city. 

After walking for a while, he decided to sit at a nearby tree to rest for a bit. He plopped on the ground as he rested his back on the trunk. His light blue eyelashes started to flutter, as the spell of sleep corrupted him. 

...

"Hello?~" A small voice squeaked.

Chongyun jumped, frightened by the unexpected waking. He let out a hum of confusion as he rubbed his eyes.

The person continued to speak, "Whooo areee youuu?" A rhythmic patter of skipping circled around him. Chongyun opened his eyes and caught sight of a young boy around his age. His hair was long and was a dark navy blue. His skin was light and his eyes resembled the amber you would find on Mt. Hulao. His character was very refined, from his clothes to the way he walks.

The boy interrupted his train of thought. 

"Can you even speak?" He asked as his head tilt. His long hair flowed with his movements like river water.

"Yes. Uhm- hello?.." Chongyun finally replied as he stood up.

The navy-haired boy gave him an amused grin. "So you can! Anyways, answer my question! Who are you?" He asked inquisitively.

The young boy nervously chuckled, "I'm—nobody really.."

"Well, hello 'nobody', I'm Xingqiu—the heir of the feiyun commerce guild." He exclaimed proudly as he put his hands on his hips. "Well technically, I have an older brother..but that still makes me an heir!" He added on quickly.

Chongyun stared at the child in confusion. He didn't understand what half of those words meant, but he didn't feel like asking because he didn't want to seem stupid.

"Anyways, I think I'm gonna go now. The sun's setting." Chongyun replied with a frown.

Xingqiu's lips started to pout and his brows began to furrow. Chongyun collected his stuff and started to walk away feeling confused from the previous conversation.

"Wait!" 

Chongyun's pace came to a stop as Xingqiu ran towards him.

"I never got to learn your name." He said as he caught his breath.

"Oh. My name's Chongyun—sorry." He replied with a guilty smile as he turned to face Xingqiu.

A soft smile appeared on the young boys face. "Farewell 'Chongyun' until we cross paths again!" He said enthusiastically.

"Bye?.." Chongyun responded as he hesitantly waved his hand.

...

That was the first time 'the duo' met, but that certainly was not the last.