Hospitalized Dates

When the flowers start to wilt, a chill goes through me. Ky has been in the hospital for weeks. I'm loosing count of the days. I see him almost every-other day. When I can't, I call him, "Hey soldier. How you holding up?"

"With you on my mind, pretty great." Ky's voice has a new tenderness to it, than before all this chaos.

"Well, I miss you being so close." I hug my arms and imagine it's Ky's embrace. It's not the same, his hold is so much stronger; so much warmer.

"I know babe, funny, we took it for granted." his voice cracks, I know this is harder for him than me. I give a faint laugh, its so long since I've really laughed. Ky notices too, "That beautiful laugh, gosh, it's been a while, huh?"

My eyes start to tear up and I can't stand to not be there with him. "It has, Ky." I sniffle then curse at myself for giving myself away so easy, I have to be strong for him.

"Oh Ames, don't cry. Please?" he shifts in his bed, "If you cry, then I'll cry, and come on, I have a reputation."

I giggle again, that's such a lie, everyone knows Ky's a big sweetie, "Oh hush, lovebug."

He takes a deep breath in and says, "Well, a guy can try." The large door to his room opens. It's a big cold door, constantly opening, leading to a room of sanitized bitterness. "Hey Ames, I have to go, my doctor just came in, I'll see you tomorrow. Love you, dear. Goodnight."

He never ends a phone call until he hears my voice last. I take this opportunity to pause time for the slightest moment. Then I realize he really has to go, "You bet, Love you, Ky."

---

The next day I make it to the hospital at exactly 5:05, as always. I wave to the nurses expecting my arrival. Then, I stop by the candy machine and pick up some Checkers Mix, Crunch. I run up one flight of stairs, needing the exercise from my over-snacking with Ky. When I get to Ky's room, I open the door to a crack, then close it, open it a crack, then close it. Ky starts laughing, "Come on baby, stop teasing me."

I laugh and stick my hand with the Checkers Mix, Crunch in the room and shake them.

"Baby, stop" he starts laughing, then I hear his bed creaking and the sheets moving. He's coming. His feet skate over the cold floor, so I can't hear them as he walks closer.

Suddenly, a hand grabs mine and pulls me in the room. I laugh and meet Ky's eyes, were both laughing so hard. He grabs my waist, and pushes me up against the wall, "Well, Little Miss. Teaser, looks like I have you now."

I smile and lean in close to his ear, then whisper, "You've had me for so long before."

He turns his face and kisses my cheek. Then, he picks me up and carries me over to the bed. Despite his lack of physical activity his hold is still strong. When we get to the bed, he gently puts me down on the still blue sheets, and kneels in front of me. His warm hand traces my jaw, then he lifts my chin a little and kisses me as he starts to stand. When he's as even as my face, he leans over me. Ky pushes my lips with his as we kiss, till I'm laying down.

I put a hand on his chest, signaling him to stop. I'd be so embarrassed if a nurse; or worse, his mom walked in. He bites my lip then runs his hand down my arms, to my hands, and give a quick squeeze.

He lifts me and scoots under me, so I'm sitting on his lap. I open the bag of Mix and pick out Ky's favorite, the circle pretzel. I put it between my lips and he leans in and steals it from my mouth.

"I wuuuv you" he says, munching on the pretzel.

I wipe a crumb off his lip, "I wuuv you too, silly. "