Chapter 5

We arrived at his house, pulling into his yard at dawn. The sunset had beautifully shown the sky as a reddish-orange color. Chirping birds were beginning to silence themselves, and the afternoon breeze brushing against my face was majestic.

Kaleb entered the house first with me following him. The empty place had boggled me at first, but I remembered him on his way to beating his sister and knew the exact reason.

"Go upstairs. I'll be right there, okay?" He said.

"Yes, baby," I replied to him, making my way up the stairs and to his room. Inside were some new paintings that he had hung up. It came to my surprise that he had also kept one of the drawings given to him by the little boy. Despite his anger, it was nice to see that there was a sweet spot in my precious. Lazily, I lobbed onto the bed and spread my arms, taking up all of the space. My head rested upon a soft, cotton-filled pillow, which felt like paradise to my ear.

Kaleb came crashing down not too long after. Quickly, I shifted onto my side to have my face meet with his.

"Hello there, little spoon," He chuckled.

"Hi!" I replied, inching over to him and resting my forehead against his chest. His arm slithered around me, pulling me to him protectively and comfortably. The warmth from his chest against me was enough to protect me from the coldest of storms. After a few minutes of bothering him with my nose, I felt his fingers under my chin, lifting my gaze to reconnect with his. The beauty of his eyes as they stared down into mine had brought a bright pink color to my cheeks, and I soon found myself sheepish and weak before him.

"You know that you're my little princess, right?" He asks, and I nod with a slight giggle following it.

"I would very much love to put my pajamas on, but you make me feel like I'm already in them."

"Awww, you're a bubbly one, aren't you?"

His phone rang, interrupting the moment. Whatever had happened on the other side had seemed to piss him off as well, for he didn't take kindly to it. Upon answering the phone, he was calm. He proceeded to ask many questions such as "Who?" and "When?", but never mentioned a name or told me who he was speaking to. Once he had hung the phone up, his once loving and passionate gaze had turned into a destructive vow of rage.

"You messing with that freckled redhead boy now, huh?!" He shouted. Out of fear, I leaped out of bed and tried to run, but he grabbed my arm and slammed me back down.

"Baby no, please! I'm sorry, I was only reading a book with him! Please don't hurt me!" I cried out, but he was ruthless in his anger and too deep to hear me wailing to him. He rose his fist and it wasn't long before it came crashing down on me, mercilessly this time. My eyes quickly came to a shut as he repeatedly punched my face, shouting behind the anger flowing through him.

"When are you going to learn that I am the only one you should show affection towards?!" He shouted, growling heavily. The punching had come to a stop and this had been what I thought was a sign to open my eyes, but he wrapped his hands around my neck and began to squeeze.

"Baby, please!" I winced, trying my best to stop him. My hands were trembling against his chest as they pushed on him, but the resistance only forced him to even more brutality. A tear had eased its way down my cheek, tailgated by many others as they soaked his hand. My helpless gasps for air continued as I watched his face soften up, and soon after, so did his hands. He let go of my neck and let me go crashing down onto the pillow of the bed, weeping and coughing to catch my breath.

The pillow had small spots of blood on them, matching the same color of his knuckles now. I could feel the weakness of my teeth as I brushed my tongue across them, and even see a bit of red in the corner of my eye.

"Lillian," He whispered, but I flinched. With terror overflowing in me, I curled up and trembled on the bed in my tears. It didn't take long for him to lay behind me, scooping me up in his arms. He noticed that the shivering had gotten worse after this and began to beat himself up about it.

"What have I done?" He asked, "Princess, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I just got a little jealous."

I was speechless. No word could escape my mouth. For how surprising the moment was, it came quick. I had just escaped the sudden death of my boyfriend by weeping, and an apology would not cut it for this matter. I knew that I was bleeding from him, and my worry was not about the blood, but how I would hide it from everyone else should any scars pertain.

He continued in his attempt to butter me up, which had eventually worked and had me crying in his chest. His soft side had revealed itself to me once again, but I still tried not to buy into it as much.

"I can't tell you how sorry I am, baby," I sobbed, "I didn't mean to. I only wanted to read..."

"No, no! Don't blame yourself! I'm sorry, Lillian. I shouldn't have done that."

The two of us had continued blaming ourselves, and I ended it with a sniffle before closing my eyes and letting the sound of the rain outside help soothe me down.