Prologue

Choi Dae may not be the youngest officer in their garrison, nor is she the only woman, but if there is one thing she can be fully proud of it would be that she knows she's the shit.

And she is really the shit.

People revere her as one of the best first lieutenants that ever graced their space and at the same time, they fear her for her unorthodox manner. Thus, she was given the nickname 'Maverick'. And she absolutely loves the sound of that.

Once their jeep arrives back inside the garrison stationed at the lower east area of the town they are stationed in, Lieutenant Choi climbs out of the front seat and adjusts the cap on her head and buttons her double-breasted army coat before proceeding to the captain's office to report the done activity.

"Ma'am!" The driver, one of the sergeants under her platoon, Sergeant Min, shouts and switches off the engine of the jeep to run after her. He manages to catch up with the fast walking pace of his lieutenant and despite being out of breath as he walks beside her, he continues, "Lieutenant Choi, it is not yet time to report to the Captain. We returned here because the welcoming of new recruits is being held at the mess hall at this exact moment, ma'am."

"What is the importance of welcoming those new recruits? Making the Captain wait would be against my duties, soldier," she utters nonchalantly, not even bothering to glance at the sergeant beside her.

"It is a simple act of showing solidarity, ma'am."

"There are other ways to show solidarity, soldier." They continue to walk on the gravelly path, passing by other soldiers either running or marching together in groups. Most of them stop to show their respect to the lieutenant by bringing their hands to their heads in a salute.

"Ma'am, it is part of your schedule to be part of the welcoming event."

She groans and dismisses him with a wave of her hand. "You can't do anything about it if I don't want to. If you want to go to the welcoming event and let the newbies suck up to you, then be my guest. Just don't include me in these shenanigans." She stops, prompting the sergeant beside her to stop as well. She then roughly pats his shoulder. "I know you want to go because I do boring work, don't I?"

"N-No, ma'am, your work is not boring at all, ma'am."

She breaks off into a smile and pats his shoulder once more. "Go to the welcoming event. Tell them that I let you represent me."

"But, ma'am-"

"Go now or else I'll report you for insubordination," she threatens him and immediately, he stands straight and gives her a salute. She returns with a salute and is the first to let it go so that he could as well. "Leave me now, soldier."

"Ma'am, yes ma'am." The sergeant then starts to run in the other direction headed to the mess hall.

Just when he's out of earshot, the lieutenant mutters under her breath, "New recruits, eh?" She then scoffs, "I just hope these newbies know what they've signed up for."

And with that, she continues on her way to the Captain's office.

----------

"Don't you think it was nice of them to welcome us in a warm manner?" One of his new colleagues, Nurse Sangwon, says as they walk beside each other to head to the garrison hospital.

Nurse Yorch is one out of the two male nurses newly recruited in this garrison to help in the war effort. The rest are all female, which is the most normal thing. He and Nurse Sangwon stick out like two sore thumbs.

"I'm excited to start working in the hospital," Nurse Sangwon continues. "I doubt that the war will ever come to our area, though. We're too far away from the danger."