Starry Night, Starry Eyes

“Shh! What the hell? Stop stomping like an elephant or you’ll get us in trouble!”

Stomping? You’re the one who’s stomping!”

“Guys, quiet down your voices, or else the others will wake up!”

Yorch slowly roused from sleep the moment he heard people shouting in whispers. Others might sleep through various kinds of sounds due to them being heavy sleepers or the simple fact that they are exhausted from the day’s work, Yorch is not like them. He’s a light sleeper and one who gets bothered by even the slightest or softest of noises. 

None of the noises he heard were anywhere near soft at all. 

Emitting a soft groan, he pushes himself up on his right elbow and uses his left hand to wipe the sleep off his eyes. At first, his view is blurry, but when his eyes have adjusted to the dim lighting in the room (thanks to the light from the moon), he notices that some of his fellow nurses, all in their pajamas, are trying to exit the room quietly. He grunts under his breath as he fully sits up on the bed and squints a bit to finally see who are planning to leave their quarters at night. All of them are new nurses and he spots Nurses Aera and Sangwon with the group. Their backs are turned to him, but when he coughs a bit they both turn to see that he’s awake and looking straight at them.

“Yorch!” Aera exclaims in a hushed voice. She quietly rushes to Yorch’s bed and takes a seat by his feet. “Do you wanna join us?” She asks him, clear anticipation brimming in her eyes despite the dim room. 

“Where are you planning to go?” Yorch asks in the same hushed voice as hers. He glances at the other nurses who were still sleeping soundly beside him. 

“The others woke us up and asked if we wanted to join them out for a night walk around the garrison.”

“It’s past ‘lights off’. We could get in trouble if we get caught. You know that they're strict with the new people in the garrison.”

“Come on, Yorch,” Sangwon whispers, walking toward them before leaning on one of the metal poles that is attached to the top and bottom bunks. He is equally excited as Aera. “This might be the last time that we’ll be able to go out walking at night. Tomorrow, we’ll be busier than ever since it’ll be the first day of visiting the town. I’m sure we’ll be tired after a whole day of nonstop work.”

Yorch bites a small part of his bottom lip, his gaze falling on the other nurses who are standing by the exit. Some have their blankets wrapped around their shoulders. He thinks hard for a moment. 

First of all, he’s pissed that his sleep has been interrupted. Second, if ever they get caught, they’ll be in serious trouble. 

Third, that’s an ‘if’, though. They’re all careful and they know the area already. And he knows that he’s capable of taking care of himself. It will be nice to do something against the rules. 

And it won’t hurt…right?

“Would it be safe?” He asks to be sure.

“Of course!” Sangwon answers. “It’s just going to be a walk with the others. So are you coming? We don’t want to keep them waiting for us.”

Yorch then says with more resolve, “I’m in. Let me grab my jacket real quick.”

—---------

The garrison brings a different feel to one at night. The wind is cool that it makes the hair on Yorch’s arms tingle and rise despite having a jacket on him. The quiet seems deafening and he’s not used to not seeing soldiers run past him, chanting as they do so. All military jeeps are parked so he also doesn’t hear the roaring sound of their engines coming to life.