three

Being a petty perfectionist, Gray wasn't satisfied until every inch was squeaky clean. Fortunately David flossed regularly, so there was no issue with sensitivity on that part. "And we're done. You may rinse your mouth now." With a satisfied, almost glowing expression the dentist to be set the cleaning tools aside. David was beyond relieved. Admittedly this turned out less terrible than expected, nevertheless there was this unpleasant, tingling sensation lingering over his body. After a good rinse he spat the water into the tiny sink a little too forcefully, causing a few drops to splash over the rim. Curiously he ran his tongue along his teeth line. Who knew they could be that smooth? "Feels great, doesn't it?" In awe of his astonished patient Grayson snorted amused. A fresh smile was undoubtedly a fine feeling. "Ugh, yeah.. I guess you did a good job?" What an awful win to grant. David loathed undermining the grudge against his current situation. Exposing himself even to his boyfriend was just so intimidating. Then the sound of a fresh pair of white rubber gloves being snapped on sent chills down the brunettes spine. He shot a frightened glance at the person wheeling closer. It was supposed to mean 'what the hell are you doing? I was under the impression we were done?'. "Let's proceed to the examination, shall we?" Grayson decided on ignoring Davids disturbed look. It seemed almost as if he was afraid or something. Having been dating for a while Gray should have know about a potential dental phobia, right? Instead he was starting to have a hunch only now. "If we must." David detested those rhetorical questions. It was not like he actually had a say in this matter anyway. Why not speak in orders straight away? At least that wouldn't be hypocritical. "Yes, we must. Why are you so grumpy all of the sudden?" A testy eye-roll followed. The chair was then leaned back a tad further. Meeting the conditions of a perfect sight, the overhead lamp was readjusted. "Sorry, didn't mean to be. I guess Im just getting hungry and tired." Theoretically that was more of an excuse yet no lie. Though as if on cue Davids stomach growled, great performance. No Hollywood actor could have sold these false pretences any better. "This won't take long, I promise." Gray observed his boyfriends facial features which were highlighted by the light. The high cheek bones, edgy jawline and cute little nose were in perfect proportion to each other. Yet his furrowed brows, crinkled eyes, and enormously dilated pupils interfered with the usual beauty. Clearly he was not at ease. Should Grayson confront him about it? "On the way home we can get some takeout, sound good?" "Fair enough." Merely one of the duo figured the diversion worked, still takeout was never a bad idea. The curly head pushed a few strands of hair out of his face. Why was his mind getting so worked up about the check up anyway? Now with the cleaning done his inhibitions should have been overcome. "Please open for me, love." The dental student chirped in the loveliest sing sang. This voice, high pitched, soft pronunciation, turned the scariest demand into a tiny favour. Still it appeared to be too much to ask. What if there was something wrong? What if he had to get restorations done? It was time to face the cold truth David had been avoiding for the past three years. Naturally he had a rigorous brushing and flossing routine but one can never be too cautious, can they? Grayson with his unsettling neatness would never miss anything. "Love, are you okay?" "Hmm, pardon?" Somehow he had totally zoned out. The green eyes stared into the blue ones above irritatedly. Gray transferred some comfort and courage through his gaze. The nervous habits like hand running through the hair, avoiding eye contact et  cetera hadn't gone unregistered. He rested his hand on the other boys arm caressing it soothingly. What was going on in that pretty little head? Why was he so jittery? The tension in the room was terribly odd. They would definitely have to talk this through later. For now Grayson would do everything in his power to make the exam as comfortable as possible. "I asked if you were ready to open up for me love? I swear there is nothing to worry about." A deep breath followed. "Of course, just be gentle, will you?" David begged with a trembling voice. The fourth year student gave hime a reassuring smile. He had dealt with a fair share of anxious patients already. The key was patience. Having no control or feeling a certain vulnerability were things they usually experienced. It was his job to act on their concerns. "Always." David hesitantly opened his mouth for the small mirror to enter. "Excellent, thank you bub." With the mirror slightly pushing against the cheek the examination began at the upper right molars. "There will be some scraping and prodding now. Try to relax love, there is nothing scary happening." Grayson took the explorer carefully poking away at the teeth. The perception of metal tools prodding around was far less enjoyable for the one on the receiving end though. First of it didn't go so bad but when notes were called out to the computer Dave got a little daunted, feeling his heart beat prominently in his chest. "18 missing, C0 on 16, I'd like to watch it." The instruments moved along the cuspids and incisors tapping each tooth from different angles. "You do have pretty teeth, you know." The patient furrowed his eyebrows at the compliment. He really didn't understand Grays obsession with dentistry, plus the fact he probably loved torturing him. At the moment he was inspecting a "mesio-occlusal composite on number 25" a little roughly, checking wether it was still intact. "28 and 38 missing." The explorer was now positioned on the lower left molars where it kept tugging away at another filling. "Lingual Composite on 37" Grayson worked as gentle as possible watching not only the mouth but also Davids reaction to every touch. So far everything went fantastically. The dental student paid little more attention to the bottom right area as it seemed a tiny bit discoloured. "I am going to blow some air on these teeth. Please let me know if there is any discomfort." "Uh-hu" His boyfriends eyes went wide in response. He was alert. What did that even mean? Gray used the air device on several teeth, once he was done examining every pit thoroughly with the dental probe. Luckily there was no sign of pain on David's behalf. Although the one with his mouth open wide had almost been expecting otherwise. "See that wasn't too bad. I'd like to put a watch on 46 and 47 though." After a few more minutes of poking, bite checks, calling out numbers and scaling the gum all the instruments were retracted. The chair rose back to the normal level as well as the blinding light being turned off. Finally David was able to breathe normally again.