Chapter 10 - The Eye of the Hurricane

Gritting his teeth, Cerin used his mallet to block Willow's strike with her torch, keeping her at bay and allowing Jack to shoot ice at her. While she turns into a flame to dodge it, she quickly strikes back with her fire. A gust of wind blows past them, pulling Jack out of the way, and Cerin quickly spots the source of the wind. He's relieved to see Aura is still standing her ground, but it doesn't last long, as Rain harshly attacks her and brings her down once more.

But there's no time for him to wait and see if she gets up again, because another fireball is flung at him. It seems Willow has learned from her mistakes and keeps at least most of her physical attacks focused on Jack. Cerin strikes again with his mallet. Willow blocks it with her torch, before being forced to change forms again to avoid another wave of ice.

She's difficult to land a hit on, but it seems like the wisp's movements are becoming a little slower. Whether they will be able to beat her before Lantern's or their fate is decided remains unknown, but they should try to finish this quickly.

Even though their side has greater numbers, their enemies are strong. They need as many people as possible on Lantern.

Still, with every attack and strike, whether from his side or Willow's, Cerin can't help but cast quick glances at the others. He knows he should focus on the battle at hand, finish it quickly, but it's not in his heart to do that. He knows it. Death knows it. That's why he was chosen so long ago.

But right now the compassion that gave him a second chance only seems to drag him down, and everyone else with him.

Then his eyes find Aura again and his heart sinks.

He's certain Jack shouts something at him, but Cerin doesn't quite catch it. The defence granted by Death blocks one of Willow's strikes as he looks at the other side of the battlefield.

The storm is far too loud to hear anything beyond the sounds of battle, but the movement of Rain's lips and his glances across the battlefield make it clear that he's speaking. With each word and glance, Aura's expression only grows more and more stressed, anxious.

"Cerin, what are you doing?!" Jack's voice reaches him this time.

Snapping back, Cerin quickly blocks a strike meant for his ally "Aura's in trouble."

"So are we!" Jack shouts over the worsening wind "You can't help her if we lose here!"

"You don't get it!" Cerin snaps, losing his patience for a moment.

"You caught on." Willow comments with a smile, attacking once more with her fire "Too bad you're too late!"

Although he dodges the attack, Cerin knows she's right. The storm is growing more powerful by the second, far beyond what they could have expected.

He knows that this isn't a normal storm, and he also knows what – or rather who – is causing it.

The wind keeps picking up, gaining strength and reaching speeds Cerin only very rarely witnessed during his mortal life. He plants the end of his mallet in the ground, holding on to it and reaching out to Jack to keep him in place as well. The frost spirit normally glides on the wind. He would have been dragged away like a leaf caught in an autumn storm.

Willow shouts something, but the wind drowns out her words, and Cerin turns his head to block any attack she might launch at him or his ally, but the wisp has turned into a flame and darts away. She wasn't losing their battle, and it seems Lantern got what he wanted, so why is she fleeing?

The flame stops near Shen, who has also stepped away from his own fight against Chantico and Tooth. Both are too focused on trying to remain standing to stop him.