Day One

Dear Journal,

      Two days ago my friend swore she wasn't lying about an outbreak of terrible disease. Yesterday she told me to stay inside. If there was an outbreak, do you think I'd stay away from my best friend? What if one of us dies. We'd never be able to see each other. I'd never know what she sounds like in real life since the phone messes up voices.

     I swear to God, journal, that this time I'll keep you updated. If the human race survives, they need a recap of some story one way or another. My mom, my dad, and my sister left yesterday to check out our neighbors. They haven't returned and I'm scared. I'm just lucky my mom left her phone.

    So far today I have packed a suitcase full of water and filling foods like fruit bars. I would have packed pretzels, but I'd be too thirsty all the time. I've already put my friend's phone number in the cell phone and contacted my other sister. She agreed to come over as soon as she can. We decided to pack different bags and are going to meet up with my friend somewhere along the way to her state tomorrow. I still need to finish packing up. I need weapons like a knife (butcher's) and maybe a crowbar or something similar. I'll check the tool shed in a moment.

    For those who may be reading this after the outbreak, my name is Grace, my sister's name is Martha, my friend's name is Josie, today is August 20th, 2017. Tomorrow is the day I finally meet Josie.