Chapter 3

The room erupted into whispers at what the Mirror of Darkness said, shocking everyone, most especially Rhyme and the young man who was hiding in the shadow of his robe.
  "Huh?" The cat asked, his voice loud in the room. "Did the mirror seriously just say a real magic-using student didn't belong in any dorm?"
  The young man placed a finger to his lips, silencing the cat as Headmage Crowley stood in front of the mirror, blocking Rhyme from view with his feathered coat.
  "Follow your headwardens to your dorms," he said cheerfully. "We look forward to your future here as a bright one."
  Rhyme looked over her shoulder as Riddle began leading the new students of Heartslabyul out. He looked back once and gave Rhyme a sympathetic look before vanishing.
  "Miss Rosehearts," Headmage Crowley said, drawing her attention over. He motioned for the hooded boy and cat to join them up by the mirror. "I'm terribly sorry, Miss Rosehearts. I'm sure there was a mistake, but that would make two mistakes in a century, so it's not likely. This is your Prefect. He's like you, without a dorm to belong to."
  "Hey!" The cat yowled. "I'll have you know we've cleaned Ramshackle Dorm and it's a proper dorm!"
  "Of course," Headmage Crowley said, nodding. "This is Grim. He and Prefect were enrolled as one student because Prefect has no magic of his own."
  Rhyme now eyed the young man with disgust. No magic? Then how had he been enrolled at a magic school?
  The young man said nothing for a moment, seeming to take his time in choosing the right thing to say. "I hope you don't mind sharing a dorm with a few ghosts," he said, his voice soft and measured. "They grow on you after a while."
  "Well, I won't be joining your dorm," Rhyme said firmly. "I'll be joining Heartslabyul."
  Headmage Crowley cleared his throat. "I believe that Heartslabyul is once again at full capacity, Miss Rosehearts," he said. "And I don't think Headwarden Riddle will be that flexible for his sister."
  "S-sister?!" Grim exclaimed. "I mean, the last name was bugging me cause I recognized it from somewhere, but Riddle's sister?"
  Rhyme shot the cat a hot look. Great, the stupid cat was a bigger tease then Che'nya and apparently had no issues opening his mouth and no restrictions when it came to keeping it closed.
  "Grim, that's enough," the Prefect said, sternly. "She clearly doesn't want to talk about it."
  Grim obediently shut his mouth, though an inaudible grumble escaped his mouth, and Rhyme looked back at Headmage Crowley. "How long would a dorm transfer take?" She asked.
  "A few months, if everything were to work out," Headmage Crowley said, then spread his arms out. "But if the Mirror says you don't fit, you don't fit."
  "Then I'll prove I fit!" Rhyme declared. "I'll prove I can fit into any other dorms!"
  Headmage Crowley nodded a few times, thinking, his hand resting on his chin. "Very well," he said, lifting his head. "I will allow you to attempt such a feat. Till that happens, please join the Prefect and Grim in the Ramshackle Dorm."
  Rhyme nodded once crisply then turned to Perfect and Grim.
  "Whaho!" Grim cheered, throwing a paw in the air. "We've got another member!" Then he paused and looked at Crowley. "Hey, doesn't that upgrade Prefect to a Housewarden?" Grim asked.
  Headmage Crowley shook his head. "That wouldn't be possible because Rhyme would become the vice-housewarden and you all would have no other dorm members to watch over. So for now, Ramshackle Dorm will remain as is."
  "Ah, phooey!" Grim exclaimed, but Prefect shushed him again.
  "I don't mind remaining a Prefect for now," he said, then motioned for Rhyme to follow him. "Come on. I'll show you to Ramshackle."
  Grim groaned. "We've got to find a better name for it..." he said as parting words.