Face to face

She looked in the fridge for some fruit and sat down to eat it, Neji had left for the Sand Village so she would have a couple of days alone. She moved her neck from side to side, she felt tense. It was obvious that when he returned they should talk as well.

She entered the room, next to the door was a large mirror which she assumed was to see from the outside what was going on, inside were 2 ANBU and the Hokage who had entered next to her. Toshio was sitting on a chair in the middle of everything, with his hands tied behind his back and in front of him, about 2 meters away was another chair for her. He looked up and smiled. He had lost weight, he looked haggard, he had a scar on his cheek from her attack, his hair was disheveled but his light eyes still had the same commanding expression he always had. She made her way to the chair and sat in the designated spot.

"My son has got you glowing," were his first words.

"What do you want, Toshio?" she asked impatiently, the sooner it was over the better.

"I wanted to see my wife one last time," she gave him a bad look.

"The marriage was annulled."

"Yes, yes, yes, that's what the disguised people repeat to me every day. But you'll always be my wife," she rolled her eyes, "I've missed your always pleasant company," she didn't speak to him, "Will you answer me something?"

"Not if I can avoid it."

"What gave me away? I'm sure I was very careful, and I know it wasn't you."

"The note," she answered after thinking it over, "I told you that it was an unnecessary risk, you should have trusted me."

"Yes, I should have," he paused, "you were a good wife, you knew how to remember your position... and you were always well disposed," that sentence was said with a lascivious smile.

"You weren't a good husband," he laughed, "I'm glad you are finally where you deserve," they were silent for about a minute, "can I ask you something?"

"If I can't avoid it," he answered her almost as she had done.

"Why did you make me believe it was my idea to help with the exams?" she needed to get out of that doubt.

"I told you on our wedding night Tenten, I know everything about you," he stretched on the chair, "I knew that if we told you to do it you were going to be suspicious, but if we played the chips right, you were going to offer yourself... just like you offered yourself to me our first time," he looked at her and raised his eyebrows, she just wanted to get up to slap him, "I did my homework very well... and I don't only mean our desired Takeshi."

"It's not going to belong to you," she hugged her belly protecting it.

"You think so my dear, I read your profile very well... Tell me, have you already managed to take out my last name?"

"How do you know that?" he started laughing again.

"This time it's you, my dear, who forgets what you know about me. I was raised to be a strategist and to know how to control everyone around me according to my convenience," he stretched his neck, "your parents' customs were sent to be collected long ago, this silly village shouldn't have allowed them to leave you without a family name, it's your own village and its archaic ways who will prolong my lineage."

"No, they won't," she looked at the Hokage, who nodded, "I don't wish you bad, Toshio," she stood up to leave, "I simply wish you nothing, you will fade from my mind eventually," she walked to the door and before leaving she turned, "and the name won't be Takeshi, it's a girl."