Taking Care of Uncle Reece

by Eric W. Gershman

The Gunther family's long-scheduled Thanksgiving trip to Mexico had finally arrived. The relatives met at the appointed café in the airline terminal. Everyone was excited. The only missing members were Uncle Reece and his 35-year-old nephew, a celebrated physician named Erroll, whose job it was to get Uncle Reece to the airport on time.

Hungover, Uncle Reece had fallen asleep in the back of the Uber. He then startled himself awake with a loud snore, called out the name of his late wife, and promptly died of what was later determined to be a massive stroke. It was such a quiet, almost elegant death that Erroll's first instinct as he sat beside him in the car was not to disturb the man.

Uncle Reece slumped onto Errolls shoulder in a dead-man sort of way, and a quick check of his pulse confirmed the worst. The driver of the Uber, oblivious, spoke into a headset to a friend. Turkish ballads sounded through the speakers.

"Uncle Reece?" Erroll inquired. He couldn't think of much else to say. "Why did I have to be the one to deal with him?" he thought.

It was then that Errolls' phone rang. It was his mother, who was also Uncle Reece's older sister.

"He-llo," he said.

"Thank you for taking care of Uncle Reece," said the mother, then added, "He's not drunk, is he?"

"Sure," said Erroll. "I mean no."

"We are all sitting just past security."

"Who?" said Erroll, a little lost.

"Everyone! Judy's here, Michael, Tracy, Robyn. We are all waiting for you two!"

"Ok."

"Can I talk to Uncle Reece?"

"Yes," said Erroll, then added, "No."

"Why not?"

"She wants to talk to you," he said to his late Uncle and offered the phone. The elder still smelled of alcohol. Erroll had cleaned him up best he could after finding him on the couch, empty bottles and porn materials strewn about.

"Reece?" said the mother. "We are so excited you are coming. Let's start fresh, OK?"

"Uh-uh," mumbled Erroll in an Uncle Reece sort of way.

"Let's you and I go out for dinner, just the two of us. But no drinking, OK?"

"Uh-huh," replied the imposter.

"Put Erroll back on."

"Hi," said Erroll in an Erroll sort of way.

"I appreciate you doing this. I know it was out of your way."

"Uh-huh," said Erroll in a new voice.

"See you soon!"

He pulled out his phone and searched nearby funeral centers. He then re-routed the Uber app to the Moskowitz Funeral home and the driver took note. Upon arrival, Erroll directed toward the intake entrance, and the driver maneuvered the vehicle, still talking into the phone.

The unresponsive man was taken in by a sympathetic undertaker. Information and credentials were exchanged.

Erroll then rerouted the Uber app to Kennedy, satisfied that he had taken care of Uncle Reece the best he could. As Turkish ballads played, he stared out the window as the airport came into view.

NOTE: No copyright infringements are intended.