ZOOMing Out

ZOOMing Out

A ZOOM fanfic

By Madeline Fretz

2000. Boston, Massachusetts. Boston was a place for kids. Best of all, it was the place where ZOOM, the popular PBS show, was filmed. A revival of the popular 70s kids show of the same name, ZOOM was produced by WGBH Boston.

11-year-old Caroline Botelho was on her way to the studio where her show was filmed. Caroline could easily call WGBH and ZOOM her second home. It was where she met hip, cool kids her age, and they instantly became fast friends. It was her second season on the show.

Caroline got her makeup done, put on her costume, and walked into the ZOOMZone, the room where the ZOOMers hung out when they weren't filming segments or on the set. Frances Dormond, a African-American Caroline's age, was the first one in there, and greeted her castmate.

"Hi, Frances."

"Heya, Carey. What's new?"

"Nothing much really." Caroline rolled her eyes and shrugged. "What's new with you, Frances?"

"The usual." Frances groaned. "Only yesterday, my mom and I went shopping and we took my little sister to her ballet class downtown. Oh, and also picked her up."

"You always tell me those!" joked Caroline, who then looked at the "viewers." Sometimes, she would break the fourth wall in real-life like they would do on TV shows. "Hi, ZOOMers, welcome to the show!"

A hip-hop-ish beat started playing out of nowhere, and the ZOOMers, including Caroline and Frances, came bursting into their show's set. It was the show's third season.

ZOOMers:

ZOOOOOOOM!!!

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOMa, ZOOM!

Come on and ZOOM,

You call the tune!

Come on and ZOOM,

We're starting soon!

Come on and ZOOMa, ZOOMa, ZOOMa, ZOOM!

(ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM!)

I'm Frances!

I'm Eric!

I'm Rachel! Oh yeah!

Hey, I'm Kenny!

I'm Kaleigh!

Hey, I'm Buzz! Ba-da-ba-da-boom!

And I'm Caroline!

We're all plugged into one world now!

So let's talk, we wanna hear from you!

Come on, give it a try!

And if you like what you see, turn off your TV and do it!

(ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM!)

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM,

Come on and ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOMa, ZOOM!