Chapter 1

"My babies," Grandma squealed, wrapping all three of us in one big hug

"My babies," Grandma squealed, wrapping all three of us in one big hug. We hugged her back, her warm pecan scent surrounding us cozily. I was the first one to break out. It was way too hot to be close to each other for so long.

I'm from Seattle and we don't get many hot days over there. I'm a winter/cold kind of girl; it's the best weather to have. There's nothing better than chilling nights and brisk mornings. So Imagine my shock when our parents told us we were going to Grandma Alice for the summer.

In Arizona, where the temperature rests in the 100s in the hottest time of the year. Not even a few steps out of the airport, my skin was sticky, and my pressed hair began to sweat. I had to peel my jacket off almost immediately while we waited for Grandma to pick us up.

And no her name is not Alice in no Wonderland Alice. It's Al - eece, don't get it wrong now. She'll make sure you get it right. And you do not want to feel the wrath of my Grandma Alice when she's mad.

I dropped my bags at the front door. My grandparents lived in a one-story tile-floor house. As soon as you walk in you'll see half of a wall separating the foyer from the sitting area. As a kid, I loved watching old Disney movies and playing the black tape on the DVR.

As you continue you'll see a huge dining room that rarely gets used. And further on, my favorite spot; the living room. Memories of when I was here as a child flooded my mind. I can't believe I'm going to be an adult soon, in only a few months. Pictures littered the family room from my cousins and me as babies and up.

I usually sleep out there considering her house only has two bedrooms and one office. I traveled down to the living room where my Grandpa sat in his recliner chair. He made a "ah" sound as she sipped his mix of milk and tea.

"Grandpa!" I exclaimed.

His eyes lit up when he saw me. He placed his cup down, now standing to his feet. "Jade! My favorite grandchild." His bald head shone under the lights. We had this thing where he would call me his favorite. Which I am. When my siblings or cousins would whine about it he tells them they're his favorite too.

After a short embrace, my grandma and siblings came around the corner.

Ugh, my siblings.

I was the oldest at 17, my sister followed at 13, and my brother at 11. They are a constant pain in my ass. I can never seem to catch a break. For some strange reason, they make it their mission to make my life hell.

"I call the office," June announced. He rushed to the room. It had a couch that pulled out into a bed.

"Ooh, I want the bedroom," Jasmin said right after. She jumped off the couch, chasing after my brother.

I rolled my eyes watching the two run around. My grandma put her hands on my shoulders. I leaned into her, closing my eyes. I'm honestly seriously pissed that my parents left me here. Don't get me wrong, I love staying with my Grandparents...just not the whole summer.

I put my stuff in Jasmin's room and sat in the sitting area. It actually used to have a bed out here because of the many cousins that would come over. Now it's just a couple of chairs and a big sofa pushed against the wall.

My parents had left already to go to who knows where. When I asked, all they said was that it's "Grown folk business" and that I shouldn't worry about it. Which is weird because I'm almost 18.

I didn't even realize how tired I was. I woke up on the couch a few hours later to my Grandma. She is a very pretty lady, her dark skin didn't look a day over 40. Her beautiful hair was also pulled up into a little Afro. It's not as thick as it was when she was younger but still beautiful.

Her doe brown eyes were the first thing I saw. "Jade, come eat," she said soothingly. I joined everyone in the kitchen where a round glass table sat in the nook of it. We really only eat there or in the living room.

I quickly ate my stewed chicken and rice. My sister sat across from me, typing away on her phone. June made gagging faces at his food, and it's grossing me out. "Jade look," he beckoned, opening his mouth to show me the chewed contents in his mouth.

"Oh Jade, you have to meet our new neighbors. A young family right next door. They moved in a couple of months ago." She said, scooping some rice up with her fork.

My eyebrows creased, "The house old man Jenkins used to live in?" I was surprised to hear the couple was young. This was an old neighborhood filled with mostly old people.

She swatted my hand, "Ay that's not his name, little girl. I told you to stop calling the old man that." She fussed. "His name is Peter, and yes he left to move in with his daughter." That makes sense, my grandpa usually mowed his lawn and helped out with small errands as he wasn't fully capable.

"Anyways, their son is coming over tomorrow morning. I'll introduce you all." She informed me.

I nodded my head and finished my food. With heavy eyes, I settled in the sitting room, on the couch near the large windows. With my blanket and phone in hand, I went back to sleep.

I just hope this summer goes by quickly.

Hope you enjoy.