1

Hunter came into my life when I was 18. I would love to tell you that this isn't a stupid rom-com corny love story, but that would be a lie. Truth is growing up I loved watching and reading all of those stupid movies and books. New guy in school is kind of a badass, meets the popular girl, there's some stupid drama that keeps them from dating that is truly irrelevant in the long run. They work things out, they get together. Cue cheesy ass montage.

Truthfully, when I was younger I was quite fond of those stories; now though, not so much. I'm 21 now and I understand more. I understand more about myself, I understand more about the world and I understand more about my community. I think at first I really enjoyed rom-coms because I got to watch someone else live out the things I knew, whether I was ready to admit it or not, I would never get to experience. Growing up queer in a small town, most of us eventually come to the realization we won't have a highschool sweetheart. We don't get a teenage love, no cute prom pictures with our first love. Most of us miss out on those formative romantic experiences. Well, that's not exactly the truth, we do have formative romantic experiences, just not at the same time or in the same way as other people.

To understand our relationship we have to go back a little bit, 6 years to be exact.