The Hostages

"But it was you who gave me the idea," Mineveh told her friend.

Theo's hand flew to his chest. "Me? What'd I do?"

"It's not what you did, but what you said," Mineveh told him. "About running away."

"I don't understand."

"It's simple. I'll do exactly what I promised. I'll let Tempest change my name and go wherever she takes me. Then when we're far from here, and I know you and my uncles are safe, I'll run away. Easy-peasy."

Theo cupped the back of his neck and nodded. "Wow. Run away. That might actually work. But what if she comes after you?"

Mineveh shrugged. "I suppose I'd have to get the insects to help me. There's always biting or stinging bugs, or even bombardier beetles."

"Bombardier beetles? What's that?"

"They're these cute little beetles with pretty blue wings and a reddish head. They're less than an inch long and absolutely adorable. They're not terribly social, though. When frightened, they spray a chemical that can burn and stain the skin."

"But you said you would never ask the insects to harm a person again."

Mineveh twirled a strand of matted hair around a finger. "I know. But this is different. The woman caused my parents' death, and she threatened to do the same with my uncles. And if I don't intervene, who knows what will happen to you? Plus, if I explain to the creatures what she has in mind for them, I think they will agree this one time would be okay."

Mineveh shifted the subject then—before she chickened out of her plan. "Why don't we eat?" she asked and pushed to her feet.

"I'm not hungry." Fear thickened Theo's words, but Mineveh wasn't a quitter, and she wasn't quitting on him.

She nudged his shoulder with her knee. "I know. But we have to stay strong, be ready for anything, so we need food."

A faint smile shone on Theo's face, and he stood as well. "Don't you ever get scared?"

"Oh, I'm terrified," she said as she walked over and tucked in at the paint can dining table. "You'll see just how so after we eat."

"Why? What happens then?"

"Anxiety gives me indigestion. I'll be belching the walls down before long."

Theo laughed—belly laughed. And Mineveh's heart warmed. She was glad to have lightened her friend's mood with her gastronomical distress.

When they'd finished the meager meal, they found a box of pencils and played tic-tac-toe in the shaft of light on the concrete floor. Then they used several of the plastic bottles and constructed bridges between them with the pencils. After that, they stacked the pencils to see how high they could go before they crashed to the floor. For the two friends, the grueling darkness and slow passing of time weren't so bad now.

Tempest appeared outside the door later that evening. This time, she directed them to move away from it before opening it. "Wouldn't want either of you to get any funny ideas," she said.

When she entered, she swapped out the food trays and then produced more water and another pillow and blanket. Mineveh and Theo were allowed to go to the restroom, one remaining locked up while the other went. That was Saturday night, and this became their routine through the remainder of the weekend. Mineveh's cousin never put out much effort with the food—prepackaged donuts, more sandwiches, and canned spaghetti—but they didn't go hungry or thirsty.

Theo never mentioned his biological mother or the dark again. Mineveh hoped his fear was less a threat for him now. All things considered, they were okay. Until the last meal of the day on Sunday. That's when Phyllis showed up. The tiny German roach climbed the paint can and presented herself on the tray next to a bowl of cold spaghetti. Theo yelped and scooted backward.

"It's okay," Mineveh told him. "This is one of the bugs you saw at your house. She and her friends and family, they passed my message to you."

"But it... It's a roach."

"Yes. And she only wants something to eat. She's not going to hurt you—either of us. But, I told her she does have to wait her turn."

Theo dragged the back of his hand across his upper lip to clear the sheen of sweat that broke out there. "She won't get in my food?"

"No. She's very well mannered."

"Okay, but tell her she can't get on me when I sleep." He shivered.

"Of course."

Later that night, Phyllis's brothers, George and Geoffrey, joined her for the remains of the congealed spaghetti, but they honored Theo's wishes and never came near him.

The only way Mineveh and Theo kept track of time was by the meals Tempest delivered three times a day. They slept as well as they could with their pillows and blankets on the slab floor. And then, Monday morning finally came when Mineveh and Theo should have been in school. Three nights Mineveh had not been at home in her bed, and two Theo hadn't. Their families must be desperate. Mineveh wondered if they had made the connection that they were both missing at the same time.

The familiar voice of Tempest woke them that morning, telling them to move away from the door. But as there was no sun and moon to guide their day, Mineveh and Theo had stayed awake late into the night and were still sleeping when she opened it.

"Wakey-wakey sleepy heads. I have too much to do today to bother with the two of you. Now get up," the woman commanded and swapped out the trays and replenished the water. "Come along. Who's going to the bathroom fir—" her words dropped off when she turned at the sound of something behind her. "What are you doing here? I told you to stay upstairs."

"You never said what you want done with the pesticides delivered this morning," someone outside their line of sight replied. "Do you want the boxes brought down here?"

Mineveh and Theo locked gazes, and Mineveh silently mouthed, "Carlisle Beckett." In a flash, the two shot to their feet.

"Get out," Tempest commanded her lab assistant.

"But what about the...?" Carlisle paused, then asked, "Is something wrong, Ms. Violencia?"

"Mr. Beckett?" Mineveh shouted. "Mr. Beckett?"

Theo grabbed her arm to silence her. "What if he's in on it?" he whispered.

Mineveh considered this. But the man might be their only hope. She had to try. "Mr. Beckett, please?"

"Shhhuuut. Up," Tempest growled through gritted teeth.

But Mineveh saw the young man's approaching shadow, and he came into view. "Mineveh?" He drawled in confusion. "And you?" He pointed at Theo and snapped his fingers. "Ehhh, what's your name?"

"Theo," the boy responded.

"Theo," Beckett said thoughtfully. Seconds stretched as the man furrowed his brow and shifted his gaze back and forth between Tempest and the children. "What are you two doing here? Shouldn't you be in school?"

Mineveh's mind raced for an answer. Should they tell him the truth?

But Theo made the decision for her when he blurted, "This woman is holding us hostage. You have to get us out."