one. just another girl on mta

"Look, I know you're not exactly

"Look, I know you're not exactly... thrilled, about the move to New York... But it's an opportunity for you and Zoya to have a decent life," Nick tried to reason with his son. Rowan was less than satisfied with the decision to move to New York City. And Nick knew that from the get-go. "But you have to be there for your sister when she sees... her. Please, I don't want Zoya to get into any problems on her first day just because of a bunch of Instagram influencers."

"Whatever," Rowan responded simply before walking into the kitchen for an apple. He returned to the dining room table and waited for his little sister.

"Where's my freshman? Fresh-woman?" Nick questioned when he heard his daughter's door to her room open. "Fresh-princess!"

"Fresh-princess?" Rowan murmured. He rolled his eyes and walked to the front door. His gaze landed on his sister. "I'll be at the bus stop."

"Okay," Zoya called out before Rowan excited the apartment and walked towards the elevator. He hit the button for the ground floor, entered the elevator, and then hit the button for the doors to close.

Rowan pulled off his headphones and placed them into his backpack as his eyes met the entrance to Constance Billard St. Jude's School. He glimpsed at his younger sister. Taking note of the bright expression that was upon her face. Scrutinizing the clothes that she had on. Her school uniform. The scarf that once belonged to her mother wrapped around her hair. And then finally noticed the shoes she had on. "Cool kicks. Where'd you get them?"

"It was a moving gift from Bella," Zoya responded before looking at the school. She took the first step and made her way to the entrance before Rowan followed her. He noticed that she stopped and looked at a group of friends, one of the members being Zoya's sister, Julien.

"Hey, come on," Rowan piped up, snagging his sister's attention, and also the group's. Zoya nodded before walking beside her brother. "Don't let them get to you. If they find a weakness, they'll go after it. So, just stay low."

"Understood," Zoya nodded before excusing herself to the bathroom. Rowan opened the novel that was in his hand and proceeded with the chapter that he had left off.

"Hey, you're Rowan Lott, aren't you?" A girl slightly darker than Rowan's complexion asked. Rowan nodded and shut his book. "I'm Parker Kingsley. I'm here to give you the tour."

"I didn't know that they gave tours," Rowan admitted as he tucked the book into his backpack and looked at the girl.

"I guess you also didn't know that you don't have to wear the uniform like a basic new kid. Rule number one, customize the uniform." Parker replied after she glanced over Rowan's outfit. She grabbed the green bandana tied around his wrist and tied it around his forehead. "There, now... You look better. Oh and before I forget... Here's a little gift from me to you."