03

🛩┊THE HOLE, chapter three.

˚➶

JEAN was home. the small journey from his car to his front door seemed to have soaked him in water as if he had just taken a bath with his clothes on, but that was the least of his worries presently. he had armin's number, and armin had asked him to text him when he got home.

was he flirting? just being nice? whichever one it was, jean felt blessed that he had given him his number anyway. jean hopped into the bathroom to take a quick shower and got out with his hair still damp and dripping, a towel wrapped around his neck, and only a pair of black basketball shorts on.

jean wiped his wet forehead and pushed back his hair carelessly so it wouldn't prove a distraction in trying to figure out what he should text armin. he got onto his bed, making it groan slightly underneath his weight. he quickly opened messages, pressing 'new message' before clicking onto armin's contact.

'hello.' that sounded too dry, like he was only texting him because he was told to, not because he wanted to. 'hii.' was that too much? too flirty? jean didn't like the sound of that. 'i'm home.' what, are they a married couple, or something? maybe he should just wait for armin to text him? but that would make jean come off as forgetful, or even worse, like he doesn't care.

after 5 minutes of typing messages just to delete them, jean settled with 'home safe :).' it was nice and simple, effective, got his message across, the ':)' showed an element of friendliness... and then jean realised how extra he was being over a little text that armin probably wouldn't even take more than a second reading.

ah, well, jean thought as he put his phone down to dry his hair properly, ruffling the towel carelessly in his brown hair. at the sudden sound of a text notification, jean immediately dropped the towel to snatch his phone, eyes lighting up at the hidden notification from 'armin 😁'.

armin 😁
i'm glad ^^ did the rain calm down when u got home?

jean
no haha i was drenched

'well done, jean!' said his brain to himself. armin must have been really confused as to why jean was typing for a full 2 minutes only to say 5 whole words, but jean was trying. he didn't know why he was so nervous texting this boy - the only other person who has made him feel like this is mikasa ackerman, but that was more intense.

armin 😁
don't catch a cold

armin 😁
our cafe might go out of business if u don't come

jean
whos gonna eat the blueberry muffins if not me?

jean huffed in amusement and armin's little joke, rolling over on his side like an excited teenaged girl texting her crush.

armin 😁
if worse comes to worst i can mail u our whole stock

jean wiped his hair from his face, this time raking his fingers through it little so he could see clearly. as armin continued typing, jean received a notification from 'mikasa ❤️,' making his brows furrow. he couldn't help but be the slightest bit annoyed that he was being interrupted in his one-sided conversation with armin, but went to go check out her message.

mikasa ❤️
do you want to go to that cafe you like tomorrow?

mikasa ❤️
i'll pay

mikasa ❤️
as a thank you

jean tapped his fingers against his phone rhythmically before actually typing a response.

jean
yeah, okay

jean
pick u up at 2?

jean
u dont have to pay for me btw

mikasa ❤️
2 sounds good

mikasa ❤️
i insist jean

jean
okay, see u tmrw ❤️
read 16:29

jean sighed, closing the conversation and going to armin's again. the two of them stayed up for longer than jean had imagined texting, and even though jean knew he was going to regret not getting enough sleep, he didn't regret the decision to carry on talking with armin.

˚➶

"armin." connie, one of armin's co-workers, turned around after armin had tied his apron for him (he's incapable of doing it independently and he likes the way armin ties his bows). armin checked to see if his pen was working, nodding to indicate that he was listening to him.

"that guy who gave you a lift yesterday was hot as fuck," connie admitted with a knowing grin. armin smiled in confusion, "do you want me to tell him that?" he asked snarkily. connie chuckled, shaking his head and nudging armin, "what was he like?" connie asked curiously, sitting on the counter they weren't allowed to sit on.

armin paused, thinking back to last night. "he's...." he searched through his internal dictionary, looking for a good word to describe jean. "reserved and sweet and thoughtful," the blonde boy finished. connie nodded his head as if he knew something, a smug smile plastered on his face.

"what?" armin sighed, eyebrows slightly furrowed. connie sighed dramatically, punching armin lightly, but prolonging the contact between his fist and the latter's arm, "my armin's in love," he announced. "come on, hug me. bring it in," connie murmured, holding his arms out.

"please stop sliding despicable me lyrics into our everyday conversations," armin complained in a fake tone, holding connie's arms to the side. "i'm not in love with him. he's a nice person, though," armin nodded, letting go of his arms.

the door to the cafe opened, made obvious by the chime of the bell going. armin and connie turned around in synchronisation to see if they were gonna be needed if it was a large group of people entering.

thankfully, it was only two people.

strangely, it was jean kirstein and another girl.

˚➶