Chapter 7: Sight

It felt as if she were in limbo. Her limbs ached but were numb at the same time. Sure, she could feel the pressure in her arm, but it felt distant and foreign. She couldn't make out faces; only shadows and it being dark in the room didn't help. The tube in her throat made her want to gag. Her eyes felt heavy, but the voice kept telling her to keep them open. Who is that? It sounds so familiar, but she couldn't remember. She couldn't even remember what she said when she opened her eyes. The doctor came in and turned on the lights, but this time Emily didn't squint her eyes. The darkness had taken over them, but she still hadn't closed them. She was freaking out inside her mind, but the voice calmed her, why?

"Hello, I'm Doctor Robini, I'm here to check you out," he said and Emily just sat there looking past him. Everyone thought it was weird but shrugged it off, they were all just happy she was alive. He nodded to a couple nurses and they went on both sides of Emily. "I need you to cough when they take out the tube". She coughed for a little while and the tube was finally out and she was breathing on her own. Alison grabbed a cup and straw and handed it to her, but Emily kept staring forward and Alison got nervous.

"Take the cup sweetie," Alison said softly, but Emily ignored her.

"I can't see," Emily said with a tear. "Why can't I see?" she asked a little louder. Dr. Robini took over and took out a pen and flipped it revealing it was also a light. He moves the bed to a sitting position and leaned in front of Emily. He lifted her eyelids to check for pupil activity and found none.

"Can you see that?" he asked.

"No nothing, it's all dark," Emily responded. "Why can't I see?"

"It may be a temporary thing, but I'd have to get a CAT scan to see why," he says.

"What's the last thing you remember?" he asks while checking her reflexes.
"I don't know," Emily said clutching her head trying to remember.

"What's your name?" he asks.

"I-its-I...I can't remember. Why can't I remember?" she cries getting worked up.

"Hey, calm down, you don't want to over exert yourself. You were in a coma for three months, it's amnesia, but hopefully it will all return to you once you calm down and relax for a few days," he says soothingly and she relaxes.

"I see nothing wrong with your reflexes, so I'm just concerned about your vision and memory. Your hand and shoulder have healed nicely and we'll need to start physically therapy soon," he says and for the first time, Emily realizes her hand was wrapped and her shoulder did feel a bit odd.

"What happened to my hand and shoulder? Why was I in a coma?" she asked.

"I'll let your family explain. She can only have two visitors at a time to reduce the stress. The nurse will be here in thirty minutes to take you for a CAT scan. It's really good to see you awake Emily," he says with a smile before exiting. The girls all surround Emily and hug her and the heart monitor starts to spike.

"Guys back off. She doesn't know any of us and we don't want to cause her stress," Alison says and they nod.

"We'll be back Em," they say before leaving. Danny grabs Amelia and she cries a little.

"Who's that?" Emily asks when she hears the baby cries.

"Your daughter," Danny replies before leaving. "We'll be out in the waiting area".

"I have a daughter," she asks mostly to herself and looks up when she hears shuffling in the room. "Who's there?" she asks nervously.

"Relax, it's me Alison and your mom," she says softly taking a seat in the chair. Surprisingly Mrs. Fields has been the quiet one.