Fear Of The Unknown

It was another day of feeling completed and content by the shores and waters of the earth, the only place that ever felt like home to me. Ask anybody i know and they would tell you i had the ocean's water in my veins. Sounds something like "Moana", i know. Oh my gosh i love that movie. "It's been awhile since we went anywhere deeper than just 100 meters" a voice said, which made me stop scrubbing my surf board and look over a group of divers, that were sitting near the shore. It was a bit dark out right now, the sun was setting and i was in the middle of my daily swim at the beach. I always went after school, it just took the stress away and made me forget all my troubles. Who needs therapy, when the ocean is the most peaceful place on earth. 

"But i've heard a lot about this part of the ocean and no one goes deeper than 100 feet, i just wanna try a little farther. Who knows, we might even find something" another voice said. As i remembered reading something about a trail of shipwrecks up and down the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. This was Orlando Florida, we were talking about. I liked to keep tabs on things like this when it came to the awareness of the ocean. It was a bit peculiar to me though, so many ship wrecks up and down the Atlantic Ocean like that. I wondered if they even knew that. I didn't realize i was staring at them, while i was thinking about this, but they noticed me from afar and motioned for me to come over. I hesitated, remembering these people were strangers and despite me being eighteen years old, i still used the term "stranger danger". 

But, i made my way over there anyway, i was a diver myself if i forgot to mention, obviously since i was so in love with the ocean, anything that had to do with it, i was obsessed with. Surfing, swimming, and scuba diving. To be honest i don't know where this abundant love for the ocean even came from, it just fascinated me since i was a little girl. Ever since i first laid eyes on the beach,  i've been bugging my parents to take me to swimming lessons ever since. I remember pointing at two women running onto the beach that day, as they held surfboards, saying i wanted to be like them when i grew up. That memory made me smile, as i walked over to the scuba divers, holding my board. I was in my favorite blue and black bikini, was considering heading home after i caught one last wave. "You seem to be interested in our discussion about the dive, you a diver yourself?" a woman asked, as i she wore her scuba fit and checked her oxygen level from her tank. "I dive here and there.I heard about a shipwreck near this area, never actually seen it myself. Everyone's too afraid to go deeper than 100 meters" i said, as the woman looked at her partner. 

"I'm Jenny, by the way" i said, reaching out my hand as she shook it, "i'm Samantha, and this is Thomas, we've been diving all the way from California" she said, as i was impressed. "Wow, sounds like a dream" i said, as she smiled. "Ship wreck you said?" she asked, as i nodded, gripping my board. "Told you we would find something" she said, looking over at the tall and long haired man to her left. He rolled his eyes, as he put on his slipper shoes. "What the hell" he said, shaking his head and giving in. "Hey, you wanna tag along, we have another full tank" she said, as she smiled at me. I looked over at the sun getting lower, thinking about how my parents were gonna kill me if i wasn't back by sunrise. But i couldn't pass up the chance to dive with these professionals here, i bit my lip, contemplating my punishment from my mother, before giving in. "Sure, why not" i said, as i took the scuba gear from her. 

"By the way, i saw you hitting the waves out there, you really know what you're doing" the man said, as i smiled, feeling flattered by the compliment i get many times a day. Something i never let get to my head regardless, "Thanks" i said, as he smiled. After they told me the rules of diving which i already knew, we headed for the water. As i followed after them deeper into the sea. I breathed through my oxygen tube, as i swam with them, a flashlight was attached to my suit since it was dark under here. It felt eerie, sure this wasn't my first time diving, but it was my first time diving at night. Something i didn't wanna mention, but i don't think there's a drastic difference. Right?