The Aftermath of Wonyoung

You're high upon the towers

Now don't look down
I will be okay here
On the ground

Skylar Grey, Tower

***

The moment Wonyoung lands in Korea, she feels a heavy atmosphere loom around her, like a wave ready to engulf her whole. In the three hours' worth of sitting beside each other, Gaeul's only managed to cough out less than ten words.

It's still some time around six in the morning, the sun barely getting the chance to peak through the tall buildings scattered all over the city. The wind is crisp and cold, piercing through the layers of Wonyoung's clothing as they wait for a cab ready to drive them home to idol's place.

The rest of the morning is spent in deafening silence, a stillness Wonyoung wants to slash through if only Gaeul's walls weren't made out of some indestructible force.

By the time they arrive in Wonyoung's apartment in Hannam, it's already seven in the morning, the sun casting its rays all over the city. It's freezing in Seoul, but Wonyoung won't deny the fact that she feels colder inside than out.

Gaeul pays the driver while Wonyoung unloads their bags from the trunk. The idol, in the little amount of energy she has left, tries to bring all the bags up to the front step of her apartment building, groaning over the weight of her trunk set as well as Gaeul's luggage.

To her fortune, the universe doesn't fail her this time and lets her arrive at the front step in whole.

Wonyoung, puffing and out of breath, taps in her passcode. The entrance doors slide open, leading to the lobby. The area itself is empty of furniture and people. It's a not a new building but Hannam Hill is for the "rich", and those people don't bother to go out of the comforts of their complete homes anymore. The whole place exudes wealth and sophistication. But it also radiates emptiness and lifelessness.

Expectedly, a wave of emotions fills Wonyoung to the brim. Back in Mitan, the town is always alive. At dawn, people would already be up. Sometimes, when Wonyoung wakes up earlier than Yujin, she would watch the townspeople go about their daily lives while drinking coffee near the small window in the kitchen area.

When the elevator finally stops at Wonyoung's floor—the building only has about four floors, two stories per villa and a widely used garage in the basement—the two women hurryingly gets off and walks down the hall, arriving in front of the villa's door.

"I'll be going now."

Wonyoung stops and turns to the woman behind her. "What?" It's only then does she notice the absence of Gaeul's things. She must have left it in the lobby.

The older woman turns around and starts making her way down the hall towards the elevator. Wonyoung, in desperate want to talk shit out with her best friend, runs after her and pulls Gaeul back by the wrist.

Pulls her back into a hug.

"Oof--..."

Gaeul's visibly tense but slowly, she relaxes into Wonyoung's embrace.

"I know you're blaming yourself, Gaeul." Wonyoung's words are soft and laced with affection and sadness. "Please don't."

Gaeul feels like her heart is going to combust. She can't help the overwhelming tears blurring her eyes. It's hard trying to keep in the emotions filling her up to the brim. She's always been amazing at keeping her composure, however, this time it feels like bottling it all up is too much a tedious task for her to handle. The moment she feels Wonyoung's hold around her, as if securing her in place, Gaeul's whole dam and composure start breaking.