Chapter 1: "I Don't Want to Marry the Emperor."

"Ji'an, what do you think about marrying Jian-er?"

At the highest seat in Ci Ning Palace sat Empress Dowager Gu, her black-red royal attire and phoenix crown giving off an imposing aura.

'Ji'an' was the Imperial title Empress Dowager Gu conferred on Yi Mi Die not long ago. After that day, she was known as Ji'an Junzhu all across Great Hua. However, only the Empress Dowager could directly call her 'Ji'an', as she was both an elder and of higher rank.

Yi Mi Die lowered her face just enough to hide her expression. Her lips curled upwards. She had faced the same situation before in her last life.

"...."

The silence Yi Mi Die answered with seemed to worry Empress Dowager Gu, so she asked the same question again, with an additional bit of persuasion.

"Ji'an, Aijia knows you've been wronged. However, you are the only daughter-in-law Aijia will ever accept as Jian-er's wife. You are kind, gentle, and virtuous, no one would be more suited to the position of Empress than you."

Kind, gentle, virtuous, and stupid. Yi Mi Die added in her mind. At least, that was how she was in her last life.

"Your Majesty praises me too much. I am incompetent and provincial in outlook, not worthy of Your Majesty's expectations."

Empress Dowager Gu frowned.

"When have you become so meek and demeaning of yourself? Ji'an, don't belittle your virtues. You are more than deserving of the Empress position."

Yi Mi Die only smiled weakly.

In the hall, excluding the servants, there were five people. Yi Mi Die sat at the left closest seat to the Empress Dowager, while the Empress Dowager's right was occupied by a man she would recognize no matter how many times she died.

Tian Zhi Jian.

Yi Mi Die glanced at Tian Zhi Jian and saw his furrowed eyebrows and uncomfortable expression. It was obvious he disliked the notion of marrying her.

How blind she must've been in her last life not to see it.

Yi Mi Die sneered inwardly. Does he think he's the only one who disapproves of this marriage? She then looked at the two other people in the hall, one sitting next to Tian Zhi Jian and the other standing.

The man sitting adjacent Tian Zhi Jian was Tian Zhi Ping, Tian Zhi Jian's one and only brother, illegitimate though he may be.

The fifth person in the hall, the one standing with an emotionless face as if she was the only one upright in this world, was He Xiu Lin, Tian Zhi Jian's beloved.

After analyzing the other two people for three seconds, Yi Mi Die reverted her focus back to Empress Dowager Gu.

She had no choice but to degrade herself a bit further.

Yi Mi Die stood up, then kneeled. She bent her head downwards, and placed her hands together, one on top of the other.

Empress Dowager Gu looked surprised at her action, her eyes widening.

"Child, what are you doing!"

The Empress Dowager then quickly stood to her legs, placing forward her hands to help Yi Mi Die up. It was just that the kneeling Young Miss refused the gesture.

Seeing this action of the Empress Dowager, how can the Emperor and Tian Zhi Ping keep sitting? They both stood up, their attention wholely on Yi Mi Die and what she was up to.

"Forgive my disrespect Your Majesty, but I have no affections for His Majesty, so how can our hearts and minds be one when we marry?"

Hearing Yi Mi Die's words, Empress Dowager Gu no longer frowned, but smiled sympathetically.