Chapter 1

Have you ever thought about jumping off a cliff just to feel something. Like you're trapped in an endless repeating cycle day by day. Everything is the same; people, places, food, feelings. Now try to imagine that with depression. Your emotions are cut off, you feel nothing. That is my life right now, just an endless cycle of shit. I work, I sleep, I eat, I work, I sleep. So pretty much the average broke American life.

My name is Ara Smith. I'm what, at best, people consider to be ordinary and plain. Brown eyes, brown hair, 5'2". I work at a restaurant, running around like an ant trying to please rich people that could literally buy you because they make so much money. My hobbies include reading and art. So yeah, my life is pretty boring.

Crippling depression and anxiety doesn't help. My emotions are cut off yet everything stresses me out, it's a foreign concept. I've forgotten what it feels like to be happy so when I am I'm shocked. I'm just done, it has been decided, my fate is sealed.

This thought is running through my head at work, I'm interrupting by a loud pop and everything quiets. Turns out it was a champagne bottle incorrectly opened by a coworker, he got fired 3 seconds after. Everyone is replaceable as they say. The tiniest mistakes can be life shattering. I'm terrified, but I can't feel it.

"Ara" my thoughts are interrupted by a coworker, "move out of the way" they say.
"Sorry" I say back, not really meaning it. I'm used to it, just a waste of space.

As I am moving out of the way I trip, and I fall. Right. Into. Someone's. Table. The fear that courses through me as my boss approaches is unthinkable.
"Ara, can I talk to you in private" he says,
I follow him reluctantly, we had a conversation that ultimately ended with, "I think it's time we go separate ways" and that was that.

I'm fucked.