PROLOGUE: VESSEL

It was a common belief to everyone in Teyvat that visions were blessings sent from the heavens. To have a vision was to be acknowledged by your archon and to be acknowledged was to be fortunate in your life.

However, not everyone was fortunate to receive a vision and that has caused a rift between vision bearers and civilians. That they would never be on the same level, at least that was what most believed to be the case.

Of course there were few exceptions, people who saw others for more than what they lack or what they possessed. If only everyone could see it that way.

===

You faintly remember the day you opened your eyes. The world was strange and vague, frankly you felt like a newborn baby. If that baby was already a fully functional being looking at their surroundings in a state of confusion.

Your body was left resting against a giant tree, it's shade protecting you from the intense rays of the sun. You were snug in an outfit to your liking, at least, you thought it was to your taste if you were wearing it. No bags or any sign of personal belongings were around you, save for a single bright gem resting on your palm.

It's green shade shone brightly under the sunlight and at a certain angle, it looked like an entirely different colour. There was an overwhelming feeling in you telling you that it was of importance so you kept it on your person all the time.

You steadily stood up, the concept seeming almost foreign to you as you leaned against the massive tree. A lone statue stood before you and you made your move towards it, stumbling ever so slightly. The gem shined brightly once you were close enough and so did your clothes, eventually dimming it's light.

You look down to see that it had changed slightly. It still looked the same from your outfit before, only this time it matched the green of the gem and looked more... customised? You're not sure how to describe it.

At one point, you had stumbled upon the great gates of a city you were unfamiliar with. It's sturdy stone walls were intimidating but several chalk scribbles of flowers and animals on the stone lessened your worry. Two guards stood in your way and talked in a language you couldn't comprehend.

Eventually, a hand made it's way to your shoulder, belonging to a cheerful looking bard. The bard spoke to you to which you stayed still, still not understanding anything. The guards relaxed their posture and the mysterious bard pulled you in, reluctance in your steps.

He lead you to a nearby table— wait, what's that smell?

A steaming plate of food was placed in front of you. Some green there, white here and a dash of red. You inspected the food cautiously as if it might attack you. The bard opened his mouth, shoulders bouncing.

A laugh.

He pulled the flower from his hat and cupped it in his hands, held in front of your face. You just stare, confusion in your expression.

The bard lowered his face down towards the flower, blowing onto it gently as it glowed green, turning into glowing particles as it wafted in the air around you.

You grip the table, sneezing to the side. The bard laughed again and spoke to you but this time, you could understand him.

"Ha!— Archons, that was hilarious! But in the presence of a new friend, we're sure to have fun to no end! Can you finally understand me?" His words registered in your mind and you replied, as if you've been doing it your whole life.

"Yes... This is very strange." The sound of your own voice startled you but you whispered a few more words, pleasantly surprising yourself.

"That's great! Looks like this ol' bard still has his charm!" He held out a hand towards you, motioning for a hand shake. "I'm Venti the bard, best one in Monstadt."

You awkwardly grip his thumb and shake it around. "My name is Y/N? It's nice to meet you..."

A spark was lit as you both draw away from each other, the electrifying feeling tingling in your hands. It felt like you and Venti were under oppression, sweat glistening on his forehead before the pressure stopped entirely.

He stared at you with an indifferent expression before finally setting his eyes on the bright gem adorned on your shoulder. His eyes widened slightly, mouth agape before shaking his head.

"Are you... one of them?" Venti asked shakily, expecting you to give yourself up now. You shook your head, a hand resting on your temple.

"I'm... not sure what you're talking about. I don't really remember anything before this day." You told him sincerely and he relaxed a bit. "I think we'll be stuck together for a while." Was all he said before you both fig into the food and everything after that was just a blur—

"Hey! We asked for directions to the Crux, not a whole backstory! Paimon wasn't invested anyway." A shrill, childlike voice interrupted you and you blinked at them. It seems you've indulged too much of your own story to them and the thought makes you cringe.

You gotta stop doing that, that's my job.

'Wait who said that.' You shook the thought and leaned back in your seat, legs propped against the table as the traveler, Lumine is what she went by, stared at you with a nervous sweat.

"Now now, that's no way to talk to someone like you, I just wanna be your friend, that's all!" You chuckled, getting up from your seat and getting a head start towards Beidou's ship. "This way!"

Weaving through crowds and buildings, you steadily started slowing down just enough for the two to catch up and eventually make it to the harbour.

An empty one, with no ships in sight.

"Hey! Don't just run off like that, Paimon couldn't keep up! And the ship isn't even here!" Paimon squealed, punching your shoulder lightly. You turn your gaze away from Lumine and look out to the sea.

"You're... from another world, aren't you?"

The small surprised gasp was enough confirmation for you. Raising a hand to wave at the incoming ship, you glance back at Lumine.

"Then that means... we're in the same situation."