Chapter 1

I visited the girl behind those shadows. Where I stepped, my demons made way for me. I couldn't help but think that I shouldn't be doing this. But it was the pain that could carve you into something that you'd only ever dreamed of when you were a child.

When I was a kid, being alone was something that my younger self thought to be cool. But now, as I look at people with a blank face or even a mask of a smile, I am truly alone. And it doesn't matter how cool my younger version thought it was because it really wasn't.

As I walked into the darkness of my mind, the black fog parted as if it obeyed my mere thought. This fog was created by me.

I stood at the eye of a hurricane in the darkest part of my mind. There lay a child on the ground, sobbing and having given up on tugging at the chain holding her ankle captive.

Noticing my presence, she looked up at me with a sense of recognition. She smiled, tear-stained cheeks raising up, her messy dark brown hair and her pretty brown eyes looking at me with hope. I was physically hurting as I felt her innocent gaze on me.

"You're here to take me with you, right?" She asked me with a grin.

"No," I replied.

The smile wiped out of her face and her lip trembled, "B-But, you know how scared I am of the dark."

"I'm only trying to protect you," I told her.

I saw her pure heart crack all over again. The heart that heals itself as quickly as it cracks... the heart that keeps its door open and only meant to shower light even on its perpetrator. 

She whimpered, "But, I haven't seen the world in a while."

"You won't be seeing it until I make sure that it's safe for you," the words left my lips knowing that it was just an excuse. The world wasn't ever going to be safe for her.

"You will take me after you fix it, won't you?" she asked me naively with her eyes full of tears and yearning.

The hopelessness that I felt didn't escape the strong front that I had built so I just decided to deceive her once more, "Yes, I will."

"Can you tell these demons to let some light inside? It's terrifying to constantly stay in the dark," she pleaded.

"These demons keep you safe," I told her and turned around to leave.

"Wait! Please wait... Don't leave me alone," she begged.

I stepped into the hurricane without a second glance, searching for a tune that could tame these currents.

My eyes shot open as I saw the sun high in the sky, preparing to live through another day in pain, anger, heartbreak, and chaos... I was ready to run through another day like clockwork and a leash on my emotions. 

I was ready to be brave.