Updated: Time Skips Revised + Authors Note

In reference to the previous chapter, I would like to clarify a few of the tips I gave as I believe them to be a bit misleading.

Time skipping is essential for a story to run smoothly and can go anywhere between a few minutes to a few days. Some of the most impactful stories use their time skips well to emphasize the importance of story beats.

When an author slaps (LOL, I'm lazy and don't wanna write this very important scene because I'm quirky like that :P) in the middle of a scene it comes across as if the author doesn't care for the story or fanfiction they create. In drafts, it's okay to put those parentheses and explain to yourself what needs to happen next. As an example:

"Ethan continued to flip through radio channels, attempting to find one that would fit the mood in the vehicle best. Sophia glanced between the road, Charlie's sleeping body in the back of the car, and his hand turning the knob, attempting not the punch him in the face as their journey began." (End of chapter 4, continuing 5 hours after the trip.)

This may not feel organic because that's a rough draft of an imaginative scene I have no plans to write. What this does is help writers understand what story beats are occuring and how to best place dialogue, scene descriptions, and story development without adding unnecessary details or skipping what needs to be stated.

What some Wattpad authors do (and do go after anyone for this, as they're probably just writing for fun) is flip between fluff and meat in an attempt to make a story that they believe needs to be made when, in reality, it feels like the story grew inorganically. An example of an organic story progression is Jenny Han's "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" trilogy and Alice Oseman's "Heartstopper" series. Heartstopper has moments of both fluff and meat, but the author places them strategically so that readers can comprehend the story and character development. Having a story with no fluff is just as hard to read as one without meat.

Time skips shouldn't be used as a way to skip around plot points because you didn't want to write it right then and there. This is when you, as a writer, should place parentheses and add what needs to go where and take a break. It's important to realize that writing doesn't happen in a long continuous strand of motivation, it happens with bursts of energy and drafting. Use time skips wisely and integrate them naturally as to help establish important meat, fluff, character development, plot progression, and scene designs.

Books/media mentioned:

-"To All the Boys I've Loved Before," Jenny Han

-"Heartstopper," Alice Oseman

-All other quotes were written by me, Chey, as examples for the advice given in this chapter.

(Author's Note)

Hello, Chey (shy) here! Before I start explaining why I haven't updated this account at all I wanted to apologise for the extremely overdue update. It may not be anything big with many reads but it's still a passion of mine to share the writing tips I know of from my writing experience.

The reason I've been put on hold for so long has been, and get this, ✨ school✨ I'm currently a dual enrolled Sophomore in highschool and taking more classes than anyone in my grade level. It's a lot of work and that means little to no time to write or update little stories like this one. Luckily, as the school year is wrapping up and I won't have summer school anymore I should have more than enough time to annoy with notifications!

Secondly, I want to thank the two people who've read this book: I have no idea who you are but your support is much appreciated. In other news, I have developed quite a few book ideas since we've last "spoken" and I wanted to say that big things are coming. Well, maybe not big but actual progress. Things will be announced as May continues to flow by and as I set up the dominos needed for these projects to succeed. I'm sorry to have kept you guys waiting but I'm ready to deliver on my promise: Let's write a novel together! And many more to be revealed.

Have a wonderful 24 hours and I'll see you when I update tomorrow.