Perks of falling for a Commando (Part-2)

Sequestered from the eyes of the external world in the sanctuary offered by the drying clothes, Sivaangi inhaled the pleasant mustiness and damp odour of the clothes.

She flinched precipitously on her spot when the steel door of the terrace opened with a clang. She twirled on her spot and peeped over the high clothesline, her heels raised to encounter an invitingly frightening sight.

Ashwin's expectant gaze roamed all over the place before fixing itself on those pair of wide eyes.

Those eyes. That scattered the nascent sunrays, illuminating his soul like a dewdrop. Everything he yearned for in the past few months. Warmth. Safety. Home.

Sivaangi held his eyes with an unspeakably powerful thunderbolt that was as electrifying as it was shimmering.

As minutes passed, they stared at each other in utter disbelief and stillness  that a bird would have taken its seat on their shoulders mistaking them to be sculptures.

An assuaging intense emotion exploded into life in her black orbs as relief splashed her heart.

He was alive. Flesh and blood.

Repose was evidently exploding through her nerve endings.

She wanted to hug him tightly and cry. She wanted to scream at him and hit him for putting her through hell.

But she didn't do either. They stared at each other in a dark, thrusting silence.

A slow burn of tears was pushing against her eyelids but she forcibly kept them at bay.

Shrugging off the jolt of disbelief that had almost made her fall to her knees and trembling fiercely, Sivaangi mustered up an impassively grim face and swirled around briskly.

Ashwin walked forward and impatiently held the clothesline, to have a look at her who was drying the remaining few clothes in the adjacent one.

"Yen yendha letter kum badhil anupala?", a sense of yearning made his voice crack pathetically as his agog eyes lingered on her form moving around the place.

Just one word. Or a letter. He just wanted to hear her chirpy voice.

Ashwin finally felt the worst possible longing, that was missing someone who was just standing next to him. He would swear he hadn't missed her in all these months as much as he missed her this second.

"Pesa maatiya?" his fingers fidgeted with the ends of her saree that was drying.

"Avlo kovama?"

"En mela kova pada theriyuma?"

Sivaangi placed the empty bucket with a thud on the ground and started clipping the clothes. A rage that she had bottled up since so long suddenly simmered close to the surface.

Reluctant, Ashwin bent below the hanging clothes, strolled towards her and stood behind her. A sudden sense to hug her from behind, to hold her close to him, breath in her scent and never let go, engulfed him. Gripping his fists taut, he shoved them into his pant pockets.

"Enakku pesanum" he peeped from behind her to hold an eye contact, but Sivaangi didn't budge. He gazed at her shimmering locks, falling over her soft cheeks. Resisting the urge to push them behind her ears and feel the heavenly suppleness of her skin against his fingers, Ashwin averted his gaze and let out a deep breath.