Chapter 2 "The Basement"

"Good morning" you say as you see Lorraine enter the kitchen. She's wearing a light blue checkered dress with a white blouse underneath. Her hair is half up with the rest of her curls resting beautifully on her shoulders. "Morning." she replies sweetly.

She takes a seat at the table, reaching for the the teapot to pour herself a cup freshly brewed cup.

"Sleep well?" you ask as she takes her first sip.

"Mmm, I did thank you, did you?" She looks at you and you feels as if you just now notice how bright blue her eyes shine and how soft her smile really is. Before you can reply there is a loud crashing noise coming from the basement. You jump up with such force you knock your chair onto the floor, feeling your heart pound in your chest and your hands start to tremble.

"Hey, it's okay." Lorraine says calmly while she gets up and begins walking towards the basement door.

"It's probably best if you stay here."

You shake your head "I want to come with you."

It's not just because you feel scared to be left alone right now, it's also because you want to make sure she'll be okay. Lorraine nods and opens the basement door.

"They won't hurt you will they?" you ask, your voice filled with worry.

"I hope not." she replies calmly as she makes her ways down the steps.

Nothing. There's nothing down in the basement. Lorraine doesn't pick up on anything and she explains that sometimes these things take time and spirits do not always want to get "caught".

As another day draws to a close the both of you end up on the sofa covered by a big a blanket looking at some of your childhood pictures.

"Oh, this was a great day, I was 10 and it was the first time my parents took me to the zoo.."

You can feel her eyes on you as you carry on talking. When you pause and look up, your eyes meet and as you stare into her eyes you can't help but think how incredibly beautiful she is. She shakes her head a little as if coming out of a daydream and softly speaks.

"It looks like it was a wonderful day. It's getting late now, better start getting ready for bed."

Just as you close the photo album the lights go out and there is another crash from the basement.

Jumping at the sound she grabs your arm "Stay here." she says before getting up and making her way to the basement door. You're glad you lit some candles otherwise the room would've been filled in complete darkness.

"No, wait, don't go down there alone." you say as you go after her grabbing your torch.

With her hand still resting the doorknob she turns around to face you.

"I have to, I'll be fine, it's safer if you stay up here."

The look on her face is determined and her eyes tell you she's right, still you feel hesitant. She reaches out for the torch in your hand, brushing your fingers as she takes it.

"I'll be fine."

With that she opens the door and makes her way down the steps into the dark basement.

Even though she told you to stay up here and not follow her down into the basement you can't help put feel restless. Worrying about what could happen you begin searching for the spare torch but keep listening for any sound. Just as you grab the torch from underneath the sink there's a scream coming down from the basement. You jump up with the speed of light, bumping your head on the sink as you curse yourself.

"Lorraine?!" you call out for her while racing down the basement steps.