【Chapter 2】

The words in apostrophes are thoughts.

❝Come in❞ I heard his loud and authoritative voice. I slowly cracked open his door to see him engrossed and seriously looking at one of the many files laid on his desk.

❝What do you need?❞ He asked in a monotone without looking up from his files.

❝Terry told me that you needed to see me,❞ I squeaked. I had never seen face to face in the time I've worked here. I know it sounds absurd, I have worked here for two years yet I've never seen him, but I had never been a bad employee and I liked to stay quiet so I didn't have many achievements. I also didn't attend any parties that were hosted by the company.

❝Oh yes, I did Ms. Sooyeon,❞ He said while glancing up at me from his papers,❝I have a new assignment for you.❞

❝An assignment? But sir I'm not a field agent. I am not authorized to take on assignments,❞ I blurted out in one breath.

❝Slow down Ms.Sooyeon and call me Mr.Yeonjun, sir is a little too formal,❞ he chuckled at my nervousness.

❝I've seen your performance and work quality. It is admirable and quite impeccable. I would like to assign you to a different department, one that I feel would suit you more,❞ he stated with such sophistication that could only be acquired through years of practice. He stood up and handed me a file. I accepted the file with both hands and bowed to him.

❝Here's the job information, look over it and inform me of your decision in a week's time. I'm sure you'll make the right decision,❞ he assured me, seeing that I was fidgeting with the file.

❝Thank you for such an amazing opportunity but ,if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose me?,❞ I asked, pushing the side of my glasses up.

❝Well, according to your record that was given to me by your department's supervisor, you applied for the investigation department before you applied for the analysis department and I find that you would suit the investigation department better,❞ he responded as if he already had decided that I would be moved.

❝Again thank you for the incredible opportunity and I will inform you of my decision as soon as possible,❞ I left the room and walked so fast that I was almost running. I open the to the bathroom and clutch the folder to my chest as I left out a high pitched squeal.

'I've been wanting this job since forever'

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding in, relaxing the muscles in my body. I opened the file and hurriedly looked through the contents. It listed the details of what I would be doing, who I would be working with, and who I would report to.

'I'll be reporting to Ben now. At Least he won't watch me like a hawk like Jessica and I'll finally have a boss that likes me'

The door opened and dropped the file because of the sudden noise. We both rushed to pick the paper that had flown out.

❝Thank you for helping me❞ I stuttered seeing that she was of a higher rank than me. She handed me the papers and strutted to one of the stalls. I ran out of the bathroom as quickly as possible and walked to my desk trying not to catch anyone's attention. I looked at the immense amount of files I had on my desk and sighed.

'Well this is going to be a long day. I wish I could stop being nice. I hate that people take advantage of that'

I sat down with a huff and started tackling my enormous pile of work.

'I hope I can finish this' was my last thought as I lost myself in the work

-------------------------