First Day of School! Nothing to Worry About

*(Y/N)'s POV

That Duel yesterday, I'll admit it, still was the most fun Duel I had ever experienced in my life. It was the talk of the school, and I was already super popular, and now I was part of the Slifer dorm just as I had wanted since the beginning. Things are starting to look up for me, except......

"Throwdown with me (Y/N)!!"

".....Again, Jaden?...."

Ever since that Duel, Jaden has tried to get me to "throw down" with him again and again. Each time looking like a kid who's asking for their Idol's autograph. That's right, the same guy who triumphantly welcomed me to Slifer is constantly begging to Duel me again. Apparently, I heard he was an undefeated Duelist for an entire year until I came along and ended his winning streak.

So far, I have dueled him 6 times already; 3 of them were after I settled down in my new dorm, and the other 3 were during breakfast. We stuck to tabletop Duels just for the sake of time, and each Duel was me winning, still. I don't know why he keeps asking for rematches, but ever since last night, I haven't said no to him yet.

"How about later, Jaden? We've got class to attend, right?"

"Alright then! After class!"

"💨 Alright~ after class."

"Yes! Ok, we'll meet up on the roof, then it'll be my win this time!"

"Okay, good luck, but why are you still challenging me to rematches? If you don't mind me asking." Before he answered, Jaden looked away from me and scratched his cheek, almost as if he was embarrassed or was being shy about his response.

"It's just... well, I think you're quite the interesting opponent to duel," precariously pausing before he continues, he scratches his cheek again. "I don't know what it is, but I just wanna keep battling you no matter how many times I lose; I even still have fun all the while."
"I definitely wasn't expecting for it to be this difficult to beat you, but I already said challenge accepted a long time ago. So I might as well keep trying until I finally win!" ........... This kid....is something else, man!

"Well, what do you know? He's really taking this rivalry seriously. So what are you gonna do? He's already pretty committed."

"Noct, I'm gonna have to think on that later. Just not right now, k?"

"Okay, but I'm putting that out there just so you know." As Noctis disappeared, Jaden started talking again.

"You know, come to think of it, I still hadn't faced your Dissidia deck." Huh? He still hadn't given up on that yet? "Yeah, I dueled you 6 more times already. So I faced the FF10 deck twice, the FF7 deck for a second time, the FF4 deck once, Strangers of Paradise once, and the last match was with FF15. You hadn't used Dissidia on me yet, which gives me even more reason to keep dueling you. We keep up these rematches until A. I finally beat you, or B. I finally duel against your Dissidia deck!" Yup, Noctis was actually correct. This guy is very much committed to this. Engaged in such a way that I don't even want to object; I'm just impressed at this point.

But despite my admiration, I had to focus on class right now and....... "AAAAAHHH!" 😱

"Huh? What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? What's wrong is that I'm gonna be late for class on my first day if I don't start running now! Gotta go-see ya there, Jaden!" And just like that, I was gone, sprinting my way to class in a panic. They don't seem to have hall monitors in this school, but that doesn't matter right now; I just can't stand having tardiness written on my conscience.

I was somehow still late despite how fast I ran, and of course, I had to take the penalty for it after class because, wouldn't you know it, Chancellor Crowler himself was my first-period teacher. This is gonna be interesting~
The class itself was interesting, reviewing skill, tactic, and consistency in a Duel. Though I was a little distracted by the fact that Jaden and Syrus, whom I have both my first period with, were sleeping in class. On the first day? Seriously?! These guys are something else, man! I giggled to myself. They were definitely their own species of animal.
Needless to say, they got in trouble for it, and they were given the same penalty I was given. We were told to deliver extra duel disks to the students who had lost theirs for some reason, I mean, 14 duel disks lost in one day? Something's not quite right with that.