Part 16

OFF THE RECORD

Bexley Studios

February 28th, 2020 2:15PM

Luke's POV:

I don't think I could believe the phone call I received just yesterday. I got a call from Riley saying that I had an audition for Iconic tomorrow afternoon. Turns out their guitar player had some unexpected news from home and had to leave. I was shocked enough when I saw the Kennedy walk into the coffee shop and watch my set. She was really into it. But the woman beside her really stole the night. The way her eyes sparkled as she swayed to my singing. Driving to the studio I felt my nerves begin to get the best of me. Once I reached the parking lot I switched the car into park and let out a deep breath. This was my chance. My one chance. I had been waiting for this for years. I've played bars and coffee shops for far too long now just trying to get noticed. Behind those doors was my one shot at making it and proving to everyone back home that they were wrong about me. And I would get to see her again. She was in my dreams all night long the night before. I couldn't get her smile out of my mind. It comforted me when I didn't know I needed comfort. I was also very excited about meeting Kennedy further. She was taking over all the radio waves and quickly becoming one of the most popular artists. She was smoking in more ways than one and I wanted to be a part of it. After almost fifteen minutes I decided I had stalled as long as I could without being late. A final check in my rear view mirror and I decided I looked decent enough. With wobbly legs I walked into the front lobby and found a receptionist sitting at her desk. "Yes, no problem. Alright we will see you then. Bye now." She finished her call and hung up the phone. She looked up at me with a wide smile, "Hi. How can I help you?" She wonders politely. "I'm here for a meeting with Ms. Rae and Iconic." I explained as casually as I could make the sentence come out. "Oh right. Luke?" She double checked as she looked at her list. "That's me!" I exclaimed a little too enthusiastically. "You can go on back, they're in the A room. Good luck!" She wished with a genuine tone to her voice. Something about her saying her well wishes caused my heart to race that much more. I stopped outside the closed door and heard the muffled sound of the playback on Kennedy's voice. It sounded like she didn't need any auto tune at all. She was almost spot on. "Kennedy, what do you think?" a male voice asked. "Kennedy?" He asked again, causing me to scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. Maybe she just hadn't heard him the first time.

Kennedy's POV:

Someone help me. It was way too fucking hot in here. I was sweating uncontrollably as I attempted to focus on my voice. Our producer Jake was showing me the playback of the last take I had. My mind was racing in a million separate directions. Every time I opened my eyes my vision became that much more blurred. It took every ounce of energy to calm my heart rate. The steady climb of my emotions was making me feel uneasy. Sure it felt great to finally have graduated out of Riley's 'at home program' but I had never felt so trapped. There was something important that was supposed to happen today but I couldn't remember what. My brain had reached playdoh status. It had been so long since I had seen Cameron last. My heart hurt so badly it felt like it was stabbing me from the inside. I wasn't the same without him. Pretty much a strange version of myself. I hated who I was with him. I hated myself without him. Oh but did I need him. A knock at the door took me from my thoughts. A tall man stood in the doorway. Instantly I was on my feet, the room feeling incredibly small. I wrapped my arms around his neck standing on my toes to reach. Without hesitation I kissed him deeply on the lips. Almost as if I was kissing him to try to bring myself back to life. I pulled back and smiled wider than I have in weeks. "Cameron." I whispered as if it was our little secret and ours only. He looked down at me puzzled which I found odd. Wouldn't he be happy to see me? "You don't want to see me? What is it you don't want me anymore?!" I asked, beginning to get hysterical. It was silent for a moment as the room filled with tension. "No, no. That's not it. You just surprised me, that's all." He said moving closer and placing his hands on my hips. His hands felt different, almost foreign to me. They didn't feel like his hands. They gripped me tightly and made me feel safe and at home as I stumbled trying to catch my breath. "Let's get you to lay down. You look a little dizzy darling." He suggested. He stared at me with such intensity but they were sincere and soft. They didn't ask anything from me at all. These were different eyes but I couldn't see past the image of Cameron I painted in my head. I nodded my head agreeing with him. I allowed myself to follow his lead and found myself lying on the couch. A gentle pat on my head let me know everything was ok. I felt so confused. Nothing made sense to me anymore.