7. to someone you'll recognize

VII
TO SOMEONE YOU'LL RECOGNIZE

VIITO SOMEONE YOU'LL RECOGNIZE

Deciding to head to the plaza had to be your worst idea in decades. Your classmates were all there, well... Most of them, anyway. Of course there were the unlucky few that didn't manage to make it past the first reign of terror. Or others just didn't think of meeting at the middle.

"Troops! Get into your squads and destroy those titans!" One of the scout leaders was talking, his sunken eyes a warning of what years of experience with titans could do to someone. "The Garrison intercept squad will taking the front, you in the Cadet corps will take the middle, and Garrisons' elite will take the rear!" You couldn't help but think what dumb of an idea it was to have the elite in the back - leaving them at the front would give them a better chance at driving out the titans.

"We defend Wall Rose with our lives, cadets! Give your hearts!" You all saluted, some weaker than others before you fell into your groups. You were with Ymir, Connie, Krista and Marco. It was similar to the group you had during shifts, but it looked like you managed to officially scare Daz away. You had met in the middle just to be assigned as a leader again.

Eren and Mikasa seemed to be arguing, she wanted to join their squad to help him and Armin out in battle. But you couldn't take the time to look back and bother with their bickering. You fixed your gear, listening into your own squads argument.

You were sure Ymir would keep pressing buttons to get whatever reaction it was she wanted out of you - though you figured that in a fight against titans, it would be the least of either of your concerns. That didn't prove to be the case, she was still stirring up trouble with the easily agitated Connie, going on about how unfortunate it was to be stuck with a dumbass.

Krista tried her best to defuse the situation, always proving that her pleas worked to get Ymir to calm down.

Yet she was the first one to charge off, causing to Krista leave you to catch up with her - that left you and Connie behind, struggling to catch up. The group of you were in the middle guard, any one of you storming off from the group alone would get you killed. That's why you commanded them to stay close. As a squad was supposed to be. Krista and Connie didn't hesitate to listen - and Ymir only seemed to follow because Krista did.  It didn't matter to you why she joined - as long as she stuck close.

"I wasn't leave you guys behind." Ymir groaned, lifting her hand up to point in a few different directions, showing you all the amount of titans there were. "We're in for a treat today."

"There's so many of them...!" Krista gasped, taking a step back. "This is horrible..."

You felt your foot begin to bounce, tapping against the tiles of the roof you stood on. "We don't have to fight any of them that aren't causing problems, and if we do decide to fight, we need to stay together so none of us die." Your leg ceased movement, your hands busy with pulling your blades out. "You guys heard me right? Run ahead and you'll get eaten. This is different than training, it doesn't matter how many titans you kill. It matters if you come out alive." You turned to look at them, taking in the sight of their faces like it was the last time you'd ever see them. They had all pulled their own blades by your influence, ready to follow you. "None of us will leave the other behind."