Chapter 1

Marla came from a moderately rich family, no mansion that looks like a castle, or beach houses, or fancy cars. Marla wasn't completely spoiled, but you couldn't say she wasn't either, she was just spoiled in her own way. Marla had a neighbor named Cecily, but Marla called her Celia because "It's her new nickname". They both had much in common like hobbies, grades, even similar families. They are both attending Sienna Coast High where all "special" children attended. They were in tenth grade. In Marla's world there were these superpowers called abilities, and all children who had them had to be sent to one of the many Sienna Coast Highs throughout the world.

Fun Fact: Only 35% of the Earth's population has abilities.

Marla's school was much more interesting than the normal human brain would imagine. First, Marla's school is the biggest Sienna Coast High there is. Second, her school has a firearms class, and Celia and Marla love it. Lastly, they get to be on tv more times than they can count. Marla isn't comfortable in front of the press, so she avoids it at all costs. Cecily was and still is a living definition of anxiety and chaos. Both girls got along better than expected after the incident. The girls never really acknowledged each other until the incident at the grocery store four years ago.

Cecily was looking at the gloomy convenience store entrance contemplating whether she should go in or not. She soon decided to go in anyway because she really needed an energy booster because the past few days for her were absolute nightmares. Her parents started fighting again and the school started giving out more work, so she barely had any time to herself. As Cecily walked in, she saw the longest aisle of Monster Energy Drinks she has ever seen. As she was stocking up, someone sneakily walked into the store unnoticed by everybody, everybody except Cecily, but she wasn't focused on the mysterious stranger, instead she was worried about how much money she was going to spend. As the stranger neared the aisle, Marla entered the store and was also mesmerized when she took a glance at the aisle. She saw a dagger like knife in the pocket of the eerily unnoticed stranger. She couldn't brush off how weird it felt so she decided to keep an eye on them. Meanwhile Cecily was leaving the aisle she is now quite fond of, but she was dragged back with a knife pressed against her neck. Was she scared beyond belief? Yes. Did she panic? Not at all. She did try to scream but the person muffled her with their hand. It was getting quite hard to breathe, but she still made absolutely no effort to escape. It was almost like she had something planned. Cecily was always quite paranoid so when she noticed the eerie stranger enter the store, she already assumed she would be harmed. Marla was on the other side trying to hear any signs of distress or muffled screams. Luckily for Cecily, who by the way was on the verge of passing out, Marla ran to the aisle surprisingly unnoticed by the man who seemed to be very vigilant.

He was utterly confused as he saw that his victim was putting up absolutely no struggle. Marla soon saw the man collapse as the girl calmly slid from under his grasp. She stood there stiff wanting to move but couldn't. She suddenly heard a voice a very quiet voice say "I know you're there" the girl called quietly mumbling as she picked up her basket full of drinks. Marla was completely stunned, but she managed to say, "Are you okay?" as she saw a small cut on her throat letting out little streams of blood. As Marla was about to get some napkin when she suddenly saw a bright light on Cecily's neck and the bleeding stopped. Marla was about to question it, but then she remembered that many others in her neighborhood have abilities. The 2 girls decided not to get anything, and they walked out of the store completely forgetting about the unconscious man laying in the aisle. They soon fell into a deep conversation arriving at their homes way quicker than expected. Celia walked into her house after saying goodbye to the girl whose name she just learnt was Marla. She walked up the wooden stairs to her room only to meet with creaking floorboards that she usually paid no mind to. Celia's parents were both doctors who worked at 2 different hospitals and they are both 2 hours away also the usually never had any time for her, that wasn't a problem for her though, because she grew to love the silence in her house as she entered every day. Usually when school is finished, she would go straight home do her homework, read a book or two, then she would binge watch her favorite shows. She had an older brother, but he is studying abroad in New Zealand. He was out studying technology and business. Sometimes Celia's parents would be out for weeks at a time and when they came home, they left at most 2 hours later. Celia was quite used to this, so she paid no mind to them even if it broke her heart.