When you're in need of love, they give you care and attention

"I told you a gajillion times I really don't want to go"

"Same gajillion times I told you it's fine and I want to stay with you"

Jungkook was sitting in your bedroom's floor, tapping the rug while looking up at you in your frenzy, deer eyes tinged with annoyance, mouth open in protest and a subtle frown distorting his face. There was a college party that weekend and at last minute you didn't feel like going at all. Disappointment was hard to hide for Jungkook -well, pretty much anything was hard to hide, he was a terrible liar-, but he insisted on staying with you despite his anticipation along the whole week.

"You really don't have to" you stated for his sake. More for your own.

"I know, but I want to, I'd rather do nothing and be with you than be at that party on my own"

You roll your eyes.

"There would be people other than me in that party, Kook, what are you on about?"

"It's easy for you to say!" he pouted "you're the social butterfly, I know nobody at this party, I assure you they invited me because I'm your friend"

"I assure you that you were invited because you're hot and I'm your friend"

Jungkook breaks eye contact shaking his head, a shy smile adorning his features and his nose scrunching in the process.

"Shut up"

"I win" you give him a light kick while he's on the floor, earning a slap as payback. "Anyway, I really want you to go to that party, I'd feel terrible if you didn't go just because I don't want to go"

"If you don't want to spend time with me today just say so" the fake hurt he uses in such a serious tone makes you chuckle, and you take a seat next to him.

"You know it's not that. It's just that I don't want you to stop doing things and going to places just because if me"

He slaps your knee and gives you a puzzled look.

"You're not that important"

You glare at him and he bursts into laughter, that belly laugh you adore softens your features and you smile at him.

"What I mean is that I love myself enough to not keep myself from doing things I want to do just because of someone else's opinion"

You hum and give him a short nod, and he smiles proudly, a close-lipped smile that makes his lip ring stick out a little.

"Ah, good old basic self-care"

"It took a while, I have to say you had a lot to do on it, I don't know how much of a people pleaser I'd be if it wasn't for your gentle reminders "

You smile to him, but mostly to yourself.

"Hey, that's what friends are for"

'Friends'. The word tastes bitter in your mouth in that moment.

While looking at some point between your desk and the night stand, you start fiddling with your fingers.

'You look like you want to say something', Jungkook thinks to himself and patiently waits for you to speak, no prompts and no pressure.

He sees you slightly tilting your head and frowning, a tell-tale sign that you've been thinking about something, figuring out how to get it out and finally about to say it.

"Hey, Kook..." you start, without looking at him, your gaze pinned on the rug beneath you. Jungkook knows that when you want to talk about something serious you never look at the person you're talking to straight ahead, but you slowly trace your gaze on random objects between the starting point -which is usually an object or a spot near you- and the person you're talking to.