Chapter 21

Am I blind?

Am I blind?

No, I don't think so.

It's not like I've come up with an elaborate scheme to get back a small piece of the relationship I once shared with Aiden even though I know for a fact he hates me with every bone in his body.

I'm not blind, just incredibly stup... optimistic.

But, is it that I want him back?

Maybe I don't want him back, maybe I just want him to stop hating me.

And I obviously have no idea how I'm going to achieve that.

Especially at the rate I'm going.

"Where are we going?" I ask, finally noticing we are nowhere near either one of our houses. I must have spaced out for a long time for me to not notice the trees on either side of us where the houses should have been.

He continues to look at the one lane road, a sly smile crossing his face. The swelling under his eye is beginning to take shape, but the cuts were less noticeable after my first aid repair. "Have you ever seen the best view of this town?"

"You mean the one where I'm in my car and it slowly starts getting smaller and smaller? I've seen it a couple of times." I laugh at my own joke, knowing that's not at all what he means.

He chuckles but ignores my sarcasm. "That is not the best view."

"I think that's up for debate."

He turns on a dark dirt road, the only thing lighting us are the headlights save for a couple of dim light posts scattered every couple of yards.

"This is definitely the part when you lead me to the middle of nowhere and kill me while I'm distracted looking at the stupid view."

"You watch way too many horror movies." He shakes his head, his chuckles vibrating through his chest. "But no, too many witnesses saw you getting in my car. I'm not an amatuer." He teases bringing his hand up to his chest.

We arrive at a secluded part at the base of one of the steep hills that surround the town. He turns off the engine and ruffles through the back seat producing a flashlight. "I'm taking you to my favorite place. It's where I spend most of my time."

I step outside of the car at the same time he does and almost in sync push the doors closed.

Memories come rushing inside my brain of a younger me running around with a younger Aiden in tow. Our parents used to bring us here every other weekend when it first opened. But, as I look around, the rust on the swing sets and monkey bars as well as the overgrown weeds makes it clear it hasn't been maintained.

"I used to come here a lot. Aiden and I..." I trail off, knowing he doesn't care much about my past about Aiden. Especially with the cuts he just left behind staring me straight in the face. "I didn't know you were into nature walks." I say instead, hoping he doesn't notice my slip up.