The Bartender

Stepping into the tavern, the man see's a weary crowd gathered around an old bard dressed in molten colors.

hearing the sound of the door, the bartender, a timid looking man with a pudge in his gut, and eyes that seem to linger in all the wrong places. Looks up to see a Man with a solemn aura, wearing a cloak that just barely fails to conceal the two daggers at his waist.

"get me a pint of the cheapest thing you've got" the man says as he places a silver coin in front of the bartender.

"ah, that's way too much for some ale sir" the bartender says. glancing at the daggers on the mans waist.

"the extra is for information" 

"information? What information could I possibly have that's worth a whole silver?"

"first bring me my drink"

ah, yes right away" the bartender says as he wipes a glass with his dirty cloth and fills it from the tap.

After taking a sip and tasting notes of shit and grass, the man grimaces as he pushes the glass to the side.

"you know everyone in this town don't you?"

"ah, a, yes I do sir"

"well someone just tried to have me killed, I need to know who did it" the man says, a hint of rage tickling his voice.

"I, I know nothing I'm afraid there's nothing I can help you with" the bartender says, sliding the coin back to the Man, a bead of sweat lingering on his brow.

"it's in your best interest to tell me everything you know" the man says, using the blade that was hidden in his sleeve to slide it back.

Seeing the tint of blood on the blade, the bartender gulps with fear.

"I really truly don't know anything about it sir, but nothing happens in this town without the Ripper knowing" the bartender says with a hushed tone.

"Ripper?"

"yeah, Ripper, he's the leader of a gang that controls this place"

"where can I find him?"

"oh he's easy to find, he spends most of his time at the fight pit or in the brothel."

"hmm so a simple man" he mutters under his breath.

"what was that?"

"oh nothing, continue."

"ah yes, uh where was I.. So as I was saying, you'll find him in the pit or at the brothel. He's known as the Ripper because of his great strength and the steel clawed gauntlets he uses to rip his opponents into two. His men are all violent criminals, and the towns guard are all on his payroll. So I don't suggest you act on this information. well uh, not unless you've already payed for your grave stone."

The bartender then glances at the silver, his eyes widen but his mouth makes an "O" as a look of understanding flashes across his face.

'he's misunderstood something' the man thinks, as he begins to open his mouth.

But before he can say something, the bartender continues.

"On my honor I can guarantee I know the best hill within 10 miles." the bartender says, his previous fear now replaced by a hint of pride. "It's hidden, peaceful, and has a lone willow tree rooted on it"

At the mention of the willow tree the man has a flashback to the days he spent under his Master. "look here boy" says an old man with a stern face, gray hair, wearing no shirt to cover his toned body riddled with scars. "We train under a willow to remind ourselves of what brought us here, and to help us never forget what it is we fight for."

"and I'm actually an expert at digging holes as well, so you really came to the right place"

waking from his daze, the man is greeted by the increasingly annoying voice of the bartender rambling on about something irrelevant.

"I think I've heard enough" the man says as he turns around to leave.

"wait!"

"what is it?" the man says as he begins to turn around. A hint of frustration in his voice.

"your name, you didn't give me your name"

"my name?"

"yes, well I can't leave the stone blank can I?" the bartender says, with a face that seems to say 'are you an idiot?'

Calming his growing urge to create a new job opportunity in this town. Under the soft sound of the bard playing his lute, the man once again turns around to leave as he says "my name is Ren"

Hearing the sound of the door closing behind the Man, the bartender face instantly shifts to one of contemplation. "Ren.." He mutters under his breath, as he goes back to wiping glasses.

** End of chapter 1 **