Chapter 1 The usual routines and sexism

"Nothing is gonna happen trust me", my brother said. That was the last thing he said before everything went black.

I shot up at the sound of my alarm blaring. My head was throbbing and I was regretting staying up late last night and maybe drinking one too many shots. Despite everything though I got up and ate a half healthy breakfast. And by that I mean I threw some chocolate cereal in a bowl and added milk. You could think I my line of work I needed to to eat healthier to stay in shape, but I was too lazy for it. I knew i would come to regret my life choices later but I didn't care. After eating my breakfast half asleep I got ready. 

I noticed too late that I was running late. By the time I had noticed it I should've already been at work. I swear this was genetic. My brother had had the same tendency, so did my parents. But I couldn't use that excuse at my job. Well at least I had my motorcycle to make up for some lost time. 

"I swear you're gonna get yourself killed if you keep on driving to work at that pace", Kate my coworker said as soon as I got off the motorbike. She was waiting at the entrance for me. 

"I don't have time for a lecture Kate", i replied, quickly changing into my work clothes.

"Well you need one and it doesn't seem like anybody else is gonna give it to you. It's a miracle you haven't gotten fired yet" 

"Just tell me what the newest of all news is", I said trying to change the subject. I had learned it was the easiest way to distract her. 

"Well-", she was interrupted by the TV in the middle of the office, showing our news cast. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen it seems like the Avengers have found together once again. They just announced on their official internet page, that they've found a way past their differences and back together. Question is: How long till there is another dispute?", Kira Smith was sitting in the reporter seat telling all about the Avengers getting back together. 

I was surprised by the announcement. Did secretary Ross give the 'Rouge Avengers' permission to operate without the Sokovia accords?

I sat down at my desk and looked at the pile of paperwork I had to go through today. While working at a news station I wasn't the one writing the stories. I was the one that made sure they were sold, in heaps and most importantly the one that made sure all the finances were in tact. I looked through the numbers as I usually did, not even thinking of taking out a calculator. My head was faster than that thing. It was probably the only reason I still had my job: I was far quicker than any other finance employee. 

I was working for about an hour, when the most annoying voice interrupted me. "Anderson", it was Robert. 

"What is it?", I spun around with my chair. 

"I need you to take up the lunch orders" What a duchebag. 

"Get your new assistant to do it", I replied, turning back to my work. I seriously felt bad for his assistant. 

"He is busy, besides you're so much better at it" He? Of course he would ask me. 

"Well I'm busy too, and he gets payed to do that sort of thing. So what I'm guessing is, that you're afraid of what another man might think if you tell him you can't do lunch orders yourself" , I said still doing equations in my head. I had completed two files while listening to his bullshit. He of course avoided my observation and asked. 

"How hard is your job anyway? I'm sure you could squeeze in a few orders" 

"Yes, but I'm not the one talking to other colleagues during work, so I'm guessing you have more time. Now if you don't mind leaving me alone, because I'm pretty sure I could find your boss' e-mail in less then ten seconds" He grumbled but left me alone again. 

"Ella come sit with us", Kira motioned to the table, where she and Kate were sitting. I grabbed my lunch and joined them. "So anything new in your life?", Kira asked. 

"No, just the same old routines and sexism", I smiled sarcastically. 

"Not even your love life?", Kate asked. Under the table I grabbed my ring finger, feeling the emptiness of a wedding ring. 

"No" , I shook my head. 

"Oh come on Kate, she wouldn't be half as fun with a boyfriend. Are we still on for drinks Friday?", Kira said. I nodded.

After work I drove home and put on some workout clothes and went to the gym. I desperately needed it after sitting in an office for so long. I worked out for about three hours before the manager came to tell me that they'd be closing in five minutes and that I had to leave. 

So I made my way home. The gym was about ten minutes away from my block so I walked. It was already dark out and I was definitely not dressed warm enough for the September breeze. I looked around to see if anyone was there to se what I was about to do. I didn't see anyone. I passed my hands together and focused on my body heat. Sure enough there was a small flame between my hands. I kept it small, so if somebody did see it, I could talk them out of it easier. The flame kept me warm the whole way home. 

When I arrived at my apartment building I extinguished it and dug around in my purse for my keys for a good minute before finding them and entering. I took the stairs up three floors to my apartment. Before entering I looked down at my rug in front of the door. It was a standard procedure. I never stepped on the rug, if there were footprints, someone was in the apartment. And this time there was one. Somebody was in there and without my permission. Nobody else but me has a key.

I grabbed my gun. Wouldn't want anyone to find out about my power. Before slowly and as quiet as possible opening my door.