Moments of Infinity

Moments of Infinity

By Prongs

Overnight, the flyers and posters went up. Some of them were flat out cheesy, others less so, but they all declared the same four letter word that every high school senior knew: Prom.

It was one such flyer that captured my attention when I walked into school that morning. I stared at the over-glittered announcements, which proclaimed Prom's arrival in a month, and pondered the implications that came with it.

I was so absorbed in my thoughts, that when I felt a soft poke on my back, I jumped.

"Mooooooooorning Peter, what's seem to got your intention on this fiiiiiiiiiiiine morning?" inquired Kelly, peering over my shoulder at the flyer. "Prom? WAIT. YOU'RE GOING TO PROM?! YOU WANT TO LIKE LEAVE YOUR NERD CAVE AND COME PARTY WITH US DAYTIME FOLK?!?!?"

"Shush Kelly. I'm just looking...at a flyer...for a dance," I evaded, as I turned around to face her. "No need to summon the cavalry."

Kelly looked as perky and bubbly as ever, something I personally believed had to do with her Starbucks addiction, something she always denied. Her blonde hair, which sometimes seemed to become a living being itself, sprawled across her shoulders in its own semi-curly fashion. To top it all off, Kelly wore her traditional hat-du-jour, today choosing to go with a black fedora, which stood out amongst the wild hair.

"Pipe down?!!? I will not! My best friend-hell-my long lost little brother is finally stepping out into the real world!!!!" she squealed, wrapping her arms around me to give me a surprisingly crushing hug. "Wait a moment..."

She untangled herself from me and took a step back, hands on her hips, eyeing me carefully as if daring me to lie to her.

"Who are you going to ask to Prom?" She whispered with such intensity that you'd think we were talking about nuclear launch codes.

"I-uh-I..." I spluttered, when I heard the soft approach of footsteps from behind.

"Hey, guys, what's going on?"
Recognizing the voice, my posture seemed to automatically stiffen its resolve and I turned around, trying to twist my face into what I prayed was a cheerful, and not panicked, expression.

The girl before me was of an average height, with soft features that could trick the eye to think she was actually just a sculpture. Her deep brown hair fell to her shoulders, which just seemed to add to the invisible warmth that radiated off her skin. Amy's eyes met mine and she gave me a smile that suddenly had me smiling silly.

"WewerejusttalkingabouttheBiofinal" I blurted out before I could stop myself. Cringing, I mentally slapped myself for not keeping my cool. But if Amy noticed my sudden-onset-idiot syndrome, she didn't show it.

"I've been putting off studying for it myself, been too busy trying to nail down my solo for the concert next month. Maybe we could-"

The chiming of the warning bell interrupted, causing us to remember our time and place.

"I better go, if I'm late, Walker will have my head," She called, already drifting away with the high school current. "See you later?"

I nodded in affirmation and then waited for her to get out of earshot before addressing the loud silence of Kelly from behind me.

"Well?"

"I knew something was going on with you two! You will be adorable together. I ship it." Kelly decreed with the air of royalty.

"We have to get together first..." I muttered.

"Well then get on with it," She teased, giving wink. "We are so talking about this later."