Chapter 1 - Chicago Med

[ORIGINAL CHAPTER]

I got up earlier this morning than usual since I didn't want to chance being late for my Chicago Medical residency's first day

I got up earlier this morning than usual since I didn't want to chance being late for my Chicago Medical residency's first day. I reached over with my left arm to turn off my alarm as it sounded in my ears, then I rolled over and groaned into my mattress. After getting out of bed, I went to the bathroom and took a cold shower to wake myself up. While I was showering, I started to consider all the worst-case scenarios for what might happen today, which made me more anxious than ever for my first day.  

As soon as I heard the word "BREAKFAST" yelled from downstairs, I snapped out of my excessive self-indulgence and finished washing my hair before changing and going downstairs. I was living with my brother Kelly Severide, a lieutenant in the Chicago Fire Department, and his closest friend, a paramedic, Leslie Shay. I spent a lot of time at Firehouse 51, which became become my second home. Leslie called me "morning gorgeous" as I down the stairs, smelling like breakfast being prepared. We both grinned and then giggled as I replied, "You looking in the mirror, honey."

Since moving in with my brother and becoming friends, Leslie has grown to be one of my closest friends. Leslie remarked, "So how are you feeling?" when she noticed my worried expression as I sat down at the kitchen counter table. Leslie arched her eyebrows at my "good" comment as I looked down; she always knew when I was lying. I smiled at her and replied, "Okay, a little nervous, but I will be fine," as she came over and handed me a cup of coffee—exactly what I needed. "Honestly, I'll be alright," I remarked, hearing my brother come into the kitchen. "Of course she will be, she's a Severide," Kelly responded, entering with a grin on his face as he grabbed a cup himself before leaning against the counter. "Well I'm proud of you" Leslie said as she stood there making herself some breakfast which made a huge grin appear on my face mainly because she had become the big sister I never had.

Kelly added, "So is everyone at 51," which made me happy. My adolescent years were largely spent around firehouses since, once Kelly reached 18, I moved in with him after our father abandoned the family when I was still a small child. Although I didn't have many memories of him, I was aware that he would constantly reappear in our lives before disappearing once more. However, my mother wasn't much better than him, so he left Kelly to raise us both even though he was still a child. Kelly did everything in his power to support me financially while I attended medical school by working extra hours, but the best gift he could have given me was that he started working at Firehouse 51 because I was brought into an amazing family, a true family who took me in as one of there own.

Kelly shoved another mouthful of cereal and said, "Right, we better get going." He then grabbed his jacket and said, "I'll see you at work." Kelly then turned to Leslie and said, "I'll see you at work." Leslie waved and we both left the house and went to his car. I was a little anxious as we approached the hospital since I was beginning my residency at Chicago Med, even though I had spent my whole childhood in Chicago. Kelly responded, sounding protective, "I'm going to come with you," but I answered, "Kelly, I'm going to be fine; you don't have to look after me anymore," as we got out of the car and stood outside i said as I placed my hand on his arm Kelly had always been protective of me because our father wasn't around to protect us.

"You're my younger sister." Kelly laughed and said, "Lex, at least let me walk you in and say hello. I know pretty everyone at Med; I'm a firefighter after all." "Okay, let's go," I replied, putting on my backpack before we walked up to the hospital and entered the emergency room. "Hey Kelly," a nurse said as she approached us. "Hey Maggie," Maggie looked at me and said, "Little sister, don't worry, I'm not staying long just wanted to walk my little sister in for her first day." Kelly frowned. "Dr. Severide, nice to meet you, Maggie." I said, and Maggie looked at me in shock. "A doctor in the family, Kelly breaking the family tradition," Maggie said as they both laugh "ain't that right" Kelly said with a smile because my father was also a fire fighter within the CFD.

"Right I'd better get going" Kelly murmured, "Goodluck," with a smile on his lips that was different this time—a look of pride—as he started to walk after planting a kiss on my head. "correct, Dr. Severide I followed Maggie as she led me into the female locker room and said, "I'll take you to the locker room to get set up. Here's your locker, the combination is 3938." Maggie then opened the locker, took out the uniform, and passed it to me. "Here's your scrubs, doctor's coat, and ID. Get dressed and come and find me," Maggie grinned before leaving.

Before I applied to Chicago Med, I had heard about Maggie; despite being a nurse, she was the head of the ED and, because of her skill, everyone feared her. However, the real reasons I chose Chicago Med were its top-notch medical staff and surgeons, as well as the fact that it was close to home, allowing me to visit my loved ones. Numerous physicians, nurses, and paramedics were also people I knew. I changed into my lab coat and scrubs before putting my hair up in a ponytail and grinning in the mirror. I had been happy since I was a youngster and all I wanted was a job where I could do what I love all I wanted was a job where I could help people and save lives.

And when I was seven years old, I broke my wrist riding my bike and ended up in the emergency room. Observing the physicians at work made me want to become a doctor. After reading every medical book I could lay my hands on and applying to medical school two years ahead of schedule, I dressed and left the locker room to return to the emergency room. "Here she is," Maggie pointed at me as I got there, "so everyone this Dr Severide," she said, smiling. "This is Dr Rhodes, Dr Halstead, Dr Manning," Maggie pointed at the doctors, asking, "so are you any relation to Kelly Severide?" What Dr. Halstead stated irritated me a bit.

I shook Will's hand sarcastically, "You any relationship to Jay Halstead?" he said, pulling a face. "Point taken," Will said, laughing awkwardly. "Nice to meet you, please call me Nat," Nat said, holding out her hand with a smile on her face. I shook her hand because I wanted to be seen as my own person but my name always got in the way.

After saying hello and shaking hands with everyone else, I called her "Lexi" and Maggie came over with her phone. "One hell of a first day right," Maggie said as the sounds started. "Emergency mass casualty," Dr. Rhodes remarked, grabbing gloves and starting to run. I wasn't sure what to do until Dr. Rhodes glanced at me and said, "Dr. Severide with me." I was startled to see so much blood everywhere as soon as I entered the treatment room when Dr. Rhodes yelled, so I grabbed a pair of gloves and put them on. "Dr. Severide," Connor said loudly, startling me out of my reverie, "I need you to stand here and hold this." Dr Rhodes said so I walked past everyone taking Connors place.

End Of Chapter 1