The Legacy Lives On

The alien race cautiously approached the ship and colony overgrown with plants. They had known the humans landed here some decades ago but never went to explore. Now the last survivors from the earth disaster were extinct.

They looked at the strange markings on the human records and tried to decipher them. all they could make out was "new planet" and "name desert". The rest was too worn or jottted down too fast.
Looking at what was left of their science database there wasnt any water on the planet. Apparently humans needed whatever that was.

The aliens (are you techically an alien on your own planet?) took all that they could back to their cities. After studying the remains of human civilization they built monuments. They felt bad for the humans. They didnt know why humans had to flee Earth but it must have been bad.

With these monuments came the promise that the humans legacy wouldnt die. Even if it was never fully understood by the original inhabitants of this dry desert planet, the human culture could live on in those who saw the ship land and looked at the records all those years later.

To this day they continue to study what was left of the attempted human cities, in hopes of understanding more about these strange creatures.