Chapter I: Spring

I parked my black – heavily tinted suv in front a tall building. I got down from my car while talking to her on the phone. “I just arrived at the lobby, baby.” I closed the door of my car and leaned on it. “Alright. I’ll wait for you.” I hung up and kept my phone in my pocket.

After a while, dumating na ang hinihintay ko. “Jeric!” She called.

I looked at her and smiled upon seeing her. “Baby,” I called her.

She approached me and we kissed.

“Let’s go?” I asked.

“Sure.”

I opened the door for her.

“So how was the go see?” I asked while putting on my seatbelt.

“It went well. I’m not sure if I’ll get a spot though.”

I started driving. “Baby, I’m sure you’ll get a spot. Look at you. Sino bang hindi magkakagusto sa ganda ng baby ko?”

She looked away with a chuckle. “Bolero.”

That made me laugh. Her American accent always makes me laugh. “There you go again. Making fun of my accent. I’m trying my best to speak Tagalog here.”

“I know, baby. It’s just. It just sounds really awkward.”

Soon, we arrived in Ortigas. I got down from the car to open the door for her but she didn’t wait for me. She got down from the car without any of my help.

“Baby, how many times I told you to wait for me to open the door for you?” Ganito siya lagi. Hindi niya hinihintay na pagbuksan ko siya ng pinto.

“And how many times do I have to tell you, you don’t have to treat me like a princess?” She said while fixing her hair.

I wanted to help her but she waved my hand off. “Not my hair, Jeric. I told you so many times not to touch my hair.” At lagi niyang sinasabi sa akin yun.

“Sorry. I just wanted to help.”

Ngumiti lang siya. “Driving me here on time is enough help already.” She kissed me on my cheeks. “I got to go. I’ll see you later.”

“Will you be home to join me for dinner?” I asked as she walks away.

“Nah. I don’t think so. Bye! I love you!” She said while making her way inside the building.

I sighed before going back in my car. Well, that’s Kiarra. She’s not like the other girls around. She doesn’t like being treated like a princess. She doesn’t like being maintained. She likes doing her own thing without the help of anyone and that includes my help. That’s my girlfriend.

The day is done for me. This is my usual Wednesday. That is, whenever my team doesn’t have a game at night. Practice early in the morning, drive Kiarra to her go sees, then back to our place, her friend’s place actually. We’re just staying there so that she’s closer to her go sees. She’s a model by the way.

Like always, I come home alone. First stop is the kitchen. I checked the fridge and see what I can have for lunch. Then the doorbell rang.

I walked towards the door to open it. “Mommy,”

“Baka gusto mo akong tulungan.” Mommy told me when she walked in.

I helped her carry some of the brown bags she carries.

“Pinag-grocery na kita. I know, wala ng laman yang ref niyo.” Mommy opened the fridge. She can’t help but chuckle when she saw our fridge. “And I am right.” Isa-isa na niyang nilabas from the brown bags ang mga grocery na binili niya. “I bought canned goods, hotdogs, bacon. Wait.” She looked at me. “Nag-lunch ka na ba?” I guess I looked hungry.