Chapter 2: And to the Memories We Treasure

II.

"This place is adorable." Camila marvelled as Lauren followed her inside the small restaurant and towards one of the vacant tables.

The duo had hitched a cab ride from their small neighbourhood home to the bustle of the East Village, which at night on a Friday, meant that most of the population were contained in the bars. Not wanting to take chances with the wine in their systems, both girls had agreed a quick cab ride was less than an inconvenience. It wasn't cold per say, but as budding New Yorkers, they knew that heavier coats were essential about three steps from the front door. Fall in the Big Apple was temperate, and while during the day when the sun was out you were usually well off with one layer, night required at least two.

Camila slung off her navy peacoat, and Lauren her darker leather jacket, before they seated themselves comfortably, and pulled out the stack of index cards.

"Can I get you ladies some drinks?" The waiter asked as he approached the table with two menus tucked under his arm. He looked about their age, with dusty blonde hair that swept just against the line of his forehead, gracing his vibrant blue eyes.

"Two blended mint lemonades." Lauren nodded gratefully, not even waiting for Camila to jump in. "And we'll also start with a round of the crab cakes, they've been recommended." She looked over to see the Cuban smiling at her, and gave her a small wink as the waiter nodded and set the laminated pages down before them. While Lauren picked up the questions, Camila went straight to the menu.

"Does anything look good?" The green eyed girl asked as she peered at the question that sat on top of the pile. They had been careful to not mess with the order of the cards, making sure to carry out the experiment as it was intended.

"I'm so hungry that I'm about to eat my foot." Camila responded with a snort. "So realistically, yes."

Lauren laughed, leaning back in her chair and stretching out her limbs to take in the restaurants cozy atmosphere. The walls were a cream white, and without much of a crowd, it looked a lot like a typical kitchen. Implanted light fixtures sat embedded on the ceilings, and at the far side of the room was a bar, backed by a florescent display of vintage rums and whiskeys. While Camila hummed to herself, Lauren took note of the paintings that graced each wall, assuming that most of them were likely local artists looking for a place to hang their work. New York was America's sweet spot for the starving purveyor of any art.

"I want to get the burger." Camila cut into Lauren's thoughts. "But the arugula salad also sounds realllllyyy good. Hey Laur, do you want to-"

"Yes, we can split them both." The Miami native grinned at her friend with one eyebrow raised, knowing that Camila was the person who never just ordered a single thing on a menu. Even when they went to the all-you-can-eat sushi bars with five of them, she was the one who angered the chef by making him literally craft a piece of every single roll. Constantly starving, never picky, and unimaginably slender. Lauren had come to learn that the combination of the three characteristics that Camila held, had the potential of being a pretty dangerous force.

"Love you." Camila sang, setting the menu down and focusing her attention on the pile of cards in Lauren's hand. She pressed her fingers together, flexing her palms and cracking her knuckles for emphasis. "Alright, I'm ready, let's do this."

"You know I hate when you do that." Lauren cringed, her shoulders raising to her ears. "My mom always told me that if you crack your knuckles when you're young, they'll be huge when you get older."

"Oh great." Camila groaned. Knuckle cracking had been a habit ever since her brother had taught her how when she was eight. "I'll have huge man knuckles, and you'll had white lines under your ass. We'll be the worst power-couple ever. Now just read the question."