Stage 1: Shock

(A/N: Sorry for the update, edited some bits to be easier to read)

Initially, it's hard to understand. The body freezes, cold and stiff as a board. It can't believe the sudden change in environment. That is what shock is. Needless to say, waking up in an unfamiliar environment is terrifying.

At least, for most people. You see, the elite often hide the skeletons in their closets, with the keys to said closets close to their chests. There was a rumor about one of these skeletons circling around in the slums of Gotham, about a particular orphaned billionaire. Rumor has it, Bruce Wayne, the hot-shot, and one of the most eligible bachelors, was a secret masochist. These rumors circulated to frequently, that even an incel NEET like Edward Nygma knew.

Edward was a greasy slime ball to some, a useless hack to others, but to most people he was downright pathetic. This waste of space knew this rumor of a socialite. And boy, did Edward hate socialites.

His green eyes peered through the window, gazing at his prey. His slick, brown hair hung over them, partially obscuring his vision, as if the massive leather mask wasn't causing problems already. His prey quietly walked into it's bedroom, stripping before sleeping without even removing his clothing from the day.

The prey that was rumored to be a masochist.

Now, most people would not  point to Edward Nygma in a lineup and say, "Him. That one is a sadist." Mostly, of course, due to his weak appearance. Glasses, a soft, round, punchable face and a voice even his mother didn't love, he'd be lucky if he ever got to see an attractive person's collarbone. But, when it came to his alter ego...that was a different story.

Edward Nygma is a man of many names. Many of them crude, rude and downright insulting, but not the ones he chose for himself. You see, his villain persona is named 'The Riddler' As this villain, Edward transforms from a shut-in hermit to a serial killer and terrorist. The

Riddler used puzzles to lead a breadcrumb trail to his hideout, he lived for the thrill of the chase, he was the definition of a sadomasochist. He got off on torturing people to within an inch of their lives, as well as finally being caught after one of his heinous crimes went south. Every moment was exhilarating. Especially when he was being chased by The Batman. Ever since they first met, he felt a connection to him. The Riddler's heart fluttered with every punch to the gut, with every cold glare, with every bated breath. He was sure The Batman felt the same, but had no way of proving it, until recently.

During the most recent of their biweekly spats (it took a week after his detainment in Arkham to break out and a week before he'd get caught again), The Batman let out a feint moan as he got a light knife slash to the chest. A moan not of pain, but of pleasure. He quickly hid his mouth behind his black, leather clad hand, but it was just a little too slow.

And he knew that the other man knew.

So, what would be the best way to get The Batman's attention this time? Pull out all the stops, of course! In honor of his 500 follower special, he was going to have his cake and beat it too. Torturing Bruce Wayne live on the air and subsequently being beaten to within an inch of his life and thrown back in the loony bin? Now that's what he'd call a celebration!

As the billionaire slept, the question mark-clad fiend picked the lock on the window and crept inside, weary of the Wayne family butler and his infamous shotgun. After all, just because Bruce Wayne never wants to kill anyone, that didn't mean his butler holds himself to the same difficult standard.

Edward quickly stuck a syringe of green, glowing goo into a vein in Wayne's neck to ensure his sedation until the proper preparations for the stream were concluded.

After the sedation, he haphazardly tosses a puzzle cube onto the bed, as it wasn't like he'd use cards. Honestly, using a card as an actual calling card? Mere child's play.

He carried the billionaire orphan like a sack of potatoes, as unconscious and dead bodies are notoriously difficult to move. Luckily for this serial murderer and kidnapper, he had experience with both! Sometimes he confused the steps though.

So he went to toss Bruce's body in the truck, before realizing that would be a horrible idea! Bruising Bruce off camera would mean less fun for his viewers and less money from his adoring fans. So, begrudgingly, he buckled the man up in the passenger seat of the old, rusted pickup truck that reeked of cat piss and cigarettes.

Edward had sinus issues and couldn't smell, so at the price he got it, it was a steal! Quite literally, he murdered it's owner and got it for free. The drive home was silent, as he did not wish to wake his prey.

Arriving at his dingy apartment, he was glad to live in the basement. After dragging Bruce down the stairs, he quickly prepared for the stream. First, he already had his costume on, but he checked it in the mirror just in case. Second, he set up the cameras and checked the soundproofing equipment. Third, he double checked everything, nothing wrong with being thorough. Then finally he adjusted the ropes that hung from his ceiling, wrapping the nooses around Bruce's wrists, suspending him painfully in the air. As he presses the start stream button, the fancy guy started to stir.

"Alright Riddler Nation, today we have a very special guest: Bruce Wayne! Now, how about we unveil this man to the world, Hm?~" The Riddler smiles at the rolling chat. Bruce Wayne, waking up bound and gagged, not to mention blindfolded and suspended, flailed around wildly, attempting to scream. The scream was muffled but still loud as hell.

"Damn it! That sedative should have lasted an hour! Erm- no problem, people! Just a hitch in the plan, you all know how it is!" Edward tries to reel his audience back in.

He reaches for a scalpel, gently lifting it up and slicing through the billionaire's clothes. Just the shirt alone would be 5 years of Edward's salary and he knew that. This rich bastard was going to pay. That was, until, he saw a damningly familiar scar on the chest of Bruce Wayne.

One identical to the one he had left on The Batman exactly a week prior.