FLASH FORWARD

I knew as soon as she walked into class her first day. 

Margo was definitely different. 

The way she talked, the way she looked, the way she walked, or should I say 'floated,' intimidated everyone, including me. Everything she did threw me off guard. I felt uneasy around her, all of us did.

On my first day, there was a knock on the classroom door. Our ancient homeroom teacher, Ms. Cherwinski, made her way to the front of the class, opened the door, and led Margo to the front. 

"Class, this is Margo Tatum. She will be a part of our class for the remainder of the year." 

The mysterious girl looked at everyone and smiled. Her hazel eyes darted around the room and her shimmery blonde hair fell perfectly at her shoulders. She was average height for a girl my age and wore a plain white t-shirt, skinny jeans, and black flip-flops. She didn't have a backpack and looked as if she was going to a baseball game, not high school. 

She opened her mouth and added to Ms. Cherwinski's comment, "At least the end of the year. Maybe more. It depends on whether or not my father finishes his job here." She smiles, satisfied with her explanation. 

Margo confidently strode down my aisle and sat down right next to me. Out of all the desks, I think to myself, rolling my eyes.

She swiftly whips her head around and our eyes meet. Did she hear me? I start nervously playing with my pencil. Yeah, Chloe, she did.

That was the first time Maya had talked to me in weeks. Margo wasn't a new student. Margo was there for a reason. She was there for me. I was going to find out what that reason was even if it killed me.